Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Runs only when starter button is pushed and held

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Runs only when starter button is pushed

My sons 94 Bayou only runs when the starter button is pushed and held down. As soon as you let off the button is dies. It has been sitting for a couple of months. Cant understand what it could be, maybe the relay by the battery? Is there a solenoid by the battery also? Please help! Thanks.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs only when starter button is pushed and held

Check 3 places:

1). LH side handlebar switch housing has 7 wires coming out; 3 for Start/Stop switch and 4 for lights. Check the Start/Stop section of the switch. When it is at Start position, there should be NO CONTINUITY between the Y/R and Blk wire. If there is check those two wires or inside the switch housing for shorting.

2). Ignition Key switch has 4 wires. When it is at ON position, W and Br wires should have a continuity. If not, check for a break in either of the wires.

3). Remove the seat and you will see 3 sets of wire harness on the REAR LEFT side, just behind the airbox, where the seat's LEFT black rubber damper/cushion may sit on the frame next to the round locating hole. All those 3 sets of wires are going toward the battery. If any of them appears to be being pinched, check to make sure none them is exposed to bare wire or damaged due to being pinched by the seat. Then, reroute them to inside the plastic groove/slot to the far left in that vincinity where they are supposed to be.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Hayashi...I have a wire that is in the set of 3 that has a "quick disconnect" that is not connected. I plugged it together and it blew the fuse by the solenoid, so I didn't do that again. Not knowing what to do, I replaced that relay and that didn't do anything. I know some of the sophisticated electronics on newer cars wont act right if the battery isn't up to par, could this be it? I haven't tried to pull start it, but don't think it will work. I will print your instructions out and take them out to the shed where it is parked and try to work on your suggestions. I really appreciate it.....I am at a loss on what it could be!

Old 12-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "quick disconnect" connectors that you connected together is for European market where they use those connectors for turn signals, etc. and they are (+) and (-) wires. You shorted them and that's why it blew the fuse. Try my suggestion and let me know. I will help you with what I can.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

WOW...you know this machine...lol...I will try tonight on your tips. Thanks alot..again!!!!

David

Old 12-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

Well..........lol...I am embarrassed. It was the battery the whole time. Who new that the battery had to in tip top shape. Thanks for all your help!!!