Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Does a Dynateck hurt the ATV

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a Dynateck hurt the ATV

I am considering buying a Dynateck on ebay for my quad. The website states that it adds 5hp to the quad. I have a few questions, if anyone can help me before I make the purchase. BTW, I have a BF 650i.

1: Does it add top speed to the quad or just low end power.

2: Will it hurt the engine in any way.

3: Do I have to rejet or change anything on my quad

4: Is this the best one to buy for my quad

5: Is it really that much of a difference that I will notice

6: Is it worth it.

Thank you for you help and input.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Range Rover

The dynatek adds power throughout the entire rpm band, and raises the rev limiter, therefore increasing top end by 3-4 mph. It will not hurt the motor in any way, and you will not have to rejet. The difference is pretty remarkable in my opinion, certainly enough to notice. Copperhead also makes a VDI, which is more expensive, but a better unit, especially if you plan on doing any other modifications.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

The way this aftermarket ignition module work is simply by advancing the ignition timing and raising the rev limit. Since the timing is adaveced through out the entire rpm range, there would be hp gain through out the entire rpm range as well. Also, since the engine can reach higher rpm, there would be a gain in top speed.

What are the drawbacks, if any?
The way the ignition timing is advanced is by feeding the igniter with a false speed signal (higher than actual) in terms of higher voltage. This can fry your factory igniter, only true if it is a add-on module (using together with the factory igniter). Typically 4WD engagement control circuit of the igniter is damaged by the excessive false/high voltage. Once the circuit is damaged, the igniter can't send out the 4WD actuation volatage to the Control unit. And there would be no 2/4WD flashing because Control unit does not know what's going on. Another problem the aftermarket add-on module can create is screwing up your dash meter speed reading.
The third "possible" problem is the piston damage (errorsion at the ring land or cracking) due to detonation when ignition timing is advanced too much.

Is it worth doing it?
Only you can decide on your quad.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

Hayashi,
Thank you so much for your input. It was very informative, and you obviously know what you are talking about. To me it is not worth the chance of screwing things up. I run 26" Swamplites and I can reach a top speed of 64mph. Thats fast enough. Again thank you for saving me $180.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a Dynatek, and it is not an "add on". It completly replaces your stock CDI box. The dynatek is perfectly safe for your quad. I have the same motor, and it is VERY well worth the money.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

I dont like the way it makes my 04 Griz sound , almost sounds rattly.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

Good call v2rider, by the by, I still have that dial-a-jet kit if you still want one. Sorry, I was without a computer for a couple months there, but I have been checking back often lately.

Trending Topics

Old 01-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You have the dial a jet for my quad? PM with details and a price

Old 01-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer

V2,
Now you have me wanting to buy one. You were right about the Swamplites, and your probably right about the dynatek. Hayashi did sound like he knew what he was talking about. Do you know of anyone else who has the dyna, and if they have had any problems. I really do not want to fry anything on my atv. I am not very handy when uit comes to fixing things, I have to bring it to places to have everything done. as you can imagine it gets very expensive.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ive NEVER heard of anything on an ATV being damaged from a dynatek cdi box. Older model Dynatek boxes were prone to water, and a couple of them burnt up, but nothing on the quad was hurt, and the modules were replaced free of charge. That problem has since been fixed, and they work great.You would love the dynatek. Its a plug and play mod, that plugs right in were your oem cdi box is. There are a few models that i would not put on my quad, that are hard wired, or as said above, add on mods that i wouldnt trust. But the dynatek is perfectly safe

Quick Reply: Does a Dynateck hurt the ATV