Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawaskai 650 engine brake issue- PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawaskai 650 engine brake issue- PLEASE HELP!

Hello, I am a girl and new to this, so bear with me? I have a 2003 Kawasaki Prairie 650 with about 100 hours on it. While moving, the multifunction display of 2 wd and 4 wd starts flashing alternately indicating a malfunction. The engine brake will not disengage so the machine will not idol without moving forward. This problem also disables 4 wd. I had the machine at a Kawasaki dealer for 6 (yes six!!!) weeks. They said that the Kawasaki tech line told them to replace the controller (electric box under the seat) and the engine brake actuator. We did that, and thought the problem was fixed. (over $600.00 later!!) But the machine did the same exact thing after about 4 miles into the next trip. The machine is back in the shop and the mechanics and Kawasaki are all scratching their heads!!! How frustrating!! If you have ANY information on how to fix the problem or someone that might know, PLEASE, PLEASE e-mail me!!!! Thanks! Stefaniek1@***.net

Old 02-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

t

Old 02-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

It can be a connection problem, not a component (actuator or control unit) related. There is a 10-amp fuse (red) under the seat saying "EBC" on the fuse holder. Remove the fuse and twist the fuse blade little bit so that it creats a tight fit. The idea here is to produce a postive fuse connection. Then apply some die-elecrtric grease at the fuse blades so that dust or anything can't intrude. If the EBC/Control unit circuit experiences a discontinuity (it is a always ON system even when ignition is off), it would flash 2/4WD on the meter.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you! I will try that!

Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

I had a simular problem, it ended up being the clutch, the weights were worn out, so the clutch would not fully disengage, I found this out by taking the belt cover off & whatching what it was doing while I drove it, was obvious the clutch was sticking.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

The thing only has 100 hours on it. Hard to think about something already beeing worn out! I will certainly check it out and do what you suggested. I really appreciate the suggestions. The owners manual suggests to change the belt at 100 hours. Do you think the belt itself could be the problem?

Old 02-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

100 HR:
The owner's manual says to check/inspect the belt. Replace only if necessary such as its deflection can be no longer adjusted to the spec with shims in the driven converter. Any thing can wear out in 100 hrs. It all depends how you ride. But most likely the weights on the drive converter are OK.

Belt/CVT:
This has nothing to do with the 2/4WD light flashing problem that you are having.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good to know. Thanks. Seems to me SOMEONE else has had this problem! The dealer says a 750 came in the other day with the same problem. Seems very strange to me that the only two they have ever had with this problem are there at the same time! I will listen to any advice and try anything. We have already lost two months of prime riding days! It has been 80 degrees here all week. Perfect riding weather!

Old 02-09-2007, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer

Try brutecentral or kawieriders, there are some knowledgeable guys on there that drive the crap out of their machines. There might be someone on there that knows something. I don't know if the bus connectors were an issue on that machine but it is one of those things that the dealers apparently overlook all the time. From what I have read it is an easy fix to remove the connectors and soldier them together. I believe there may be a tutorial floating around somewhere but you might have to search a bit.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

P650 does not have such BUS connector as on BF - no need to worry about that. BTW, corroded connector on BFs usually causes cooling fan (not coming on when hot) or belt light flashing (when belt switch is not tripped) issues. Also, sometimes the meter just blanks out.

Quick Reply: Kawaskai 650 engine brake issue- PLEASE HELP!