Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 300 problems help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 300 problems help

Got a Prairie 300 that will not start with the key just turns over and no fire but it starts with pull rope does any one have a clue what this could be? Please help

Old 02-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi when you find out what the problem is with your prairie 300 not firing please let me know.
Mine has been sitting up and I put a new plug in and put new gas , new fuses back by the battery , made sure the gas filter wasnt clogged up and still not starting any info greatly appreciated.
karen

Old 02-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer

rubiconkevin,
Just a thought, but it could be a weak battery or starter. That is strange that it will start w/ the pull rope, but not the starter. Does it even try to fire when you press the start button?

WooWoo,
if the bike has been sitting up for a long time w/ fuel in the tank, it may be best to drain it and put in fresh fuel. I always put stabilizer in every tank of gas, may be a good habit to get into if you don't already do that. If fuel was left in the carb when it was put up last, it could have left deposits and fouled the carb. You may need to remove the carb and clean it real well. I just bought a carb rebuild kit for my 300 off of ebay last week for ~25 bucks. The installation isn't too bad if you have a service manual for the bike.

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

It was the pick up coil it was bent and grounding out had to take it to a shop

Old 03-01-2007, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

How would you go about getting a service manual for the 2001 prairie 300 2x4 oh yeah and its automatic I dont have a problem with doing some stuff myself to it but I really don't know where everything is at on it It is my first 4-wheeler of owning that we bought for our teenage girls and the insurance has ran out and the service down here in alabama is high so I try to fix as much as I can myself. Do you have to take the whole thing apart to get to the carb.???? I took the line that had the fuel filter in it off and fuel came out. and The air filter that is under the seat looks pretty clean , has new fuses by the battery but i would like to check the carb but really dont know how???? any info appreciated thanks guys

Old 03-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

Woo Woo,
I fully understand, this was the first ATV that I decided to work on as well. I found my shop manual on eBay. I paid a little extra and got the actual Kawasaki shop manual, instead of one of the after market manuals. The manual will definitely pay for itself even if you just do one service job yourself on the bike. To remove the carb, if it is the same as my 1999 Praire 300, you need to remove the fuel tank first. It really wasn't that bad of a job, but I would recommend getting the manual first and taking your time to notice where all of the parts go. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: rubiconkevin
Got a Prairie 300 that will not start with the key just turns over and no fire but it starts with pull rope does any one have a clue what this could be? Please help
MAchine runs when pull started.
But not by using the Electric starter.

CDI unit has a circuit in it designated for the kill switch.

Some CDIs have 2 seperate plugs one to the stator where the pickups are located.
The other plug has 3 or 4 contact or prongs that have
one to ground, -Black
one to the kill switch -Black/white
one to the coil -orange
one to the electric starter energizing circuit Red/white.

Sometimes this portion of the cdi unit fails resulting in no start with electric starter but starts with the pull starter.
It is best to have the service manual.