Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Brute Force 650 vs Brute Force 650i

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brute Force 650 vs Brute Force 650i

Yes. Don't get the moose module. Spend an extra 60 bux and buy a DYNATEK CDI. It'll do everything the moose does, and a whole lot more!

Old 02-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

First off I'd like to say "WHO BUYS AN OFF ROAD ATV for the ride ? " Second 9 of us went rock thumping in the severly rocky trails in west virginia . I kept seeing drag and skid marks on the rocks from someone's atv . Guess what ... it was the independant suspension Polaris and Kaws !! Take it for what it's worth but they were the only atv's bottoming out and beating their skid plates to death ! If you want a real smooth flat trail machine BUY A GOLF CART . Does'nt anyone rise up on their feet on the floorboards anymore when you're thumping over large rocks or humps ? We even have many women riders and they don't wimp about butt bumping like some of theses woosies I see on some forums .

Old 03-01-2007, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Asyou can see from newbruterider's comments above it's all a matter of preference. He has a good point. If I wanted to do rock climbing on utiltiy/sport bike with awd then get the 650 SRS. If was going to use it for plowing and long rides I'd go with the 650i. Even trail rides in the snow are going to be rough as hell with an SRS.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've been riding dirt-motocross-pure mountain motorcycles with spike nobbies for over 30 years .... ATV's for over 20 years . As the other fellow said .... it's all in what you're doing in the mountains ... or what you're not doing . If you're just a driveway snow plower and smooth trail cruiser .... get an independant . If you want the rugged dependability and brute low end crawler and general mountain riding stick with the solid axle . Less cv joints that are flimsy to say the least and wipe in a heartbeat . And does anyone ever adjust the rear mono stiffness or do they think that adjustment is just a pretty addon ? It looks like the REAL ATV'S are going down the same road as the 4x4 Jeeps and Land cruisers . Yuppie suspensions and " smooth ride " are killing any true off road riding . I guess next these guys will be asking for asphalt trails !! LOL ====
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Trooper1947
. I guess next these guys will be asking for asphalt trails !! LOL ====
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I don't understand this anolgy. My take is that if I'm going on rough trails then I'd prefer to have the independant suspension becaue it will be a smoother ride. I'd prefer the independandt suspension because I would be able to go faster because the ride would be smoother. Doesn't that make sense? I don't see how the independant would be for smoother trails. I think it would be the opposite.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

trooper, SRA is for the flatlanders to zip around on. IRS is for the hardcore trails. they both have their places. i don't ride IRS for the cushy ride. i ride it for the GC and the suspension articulation. i ride Moab once a year so i know about riding with the jeeps. it takes a very well built jeep to run the trails we ride.

monty

Old 03-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey guys , we ride primarily in mud , bogs , and some pretty rough terrain here in florida ( no mountains around here) but Ive rode thru the same trails with sra machines and they have a very hard time going where we go, just not enough clearance for deep ruts or bogs. that is my wifes primary complaint with her bike is the straight axle: no clearance. it still all boils down to how you ride and where you ride. Ive got my springs jacked to the top for the most clearance you can get and i would be very hampered by a sra.

0[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey bigluv, not to get offtopic but how is the weather down in pensacola. IM possibly coming down the 19 through the 23. Is it warm down there right now. Thanks man. Also, any cool things to do down there. Thanks

Old 03-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

If you've ridden both, you can't disagree that:
SRA is good for smooth/fast trail riding.
IRS is good for tougher/rougher terrain riding.

BTW, both BF650 SRA and IRS have the same engine pistons, valves, crankshaft, etc. But they have different carburetion and ignition mapping/igniter and that's why "claimed" hp output is different. More power "usually" means using more fuel. IRS has 0.6 gal bigger fuel tank capacity on '07 model (and you can put slightly more by removing the sleeve at the fuel neck on IRS). Engines can't be swapped between SRA and IRS becasue they have different motor mounts and different frame. SRA frame appears to be simpler and stiffer.

I've seen 2 major weaknesses on IRS though.
> Rear cv joints. As not as tough as straigt axle, rocks/sticks can hurt cv boots.
> Air intake system. As not as water-deterrent as SRA air intake.

MSRP wise, do you want to pay $500 more for IRS?

Old 03-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Trailblazer

I just replaced the rear right cv joint on my 06 650i. The dealer DOES NOT sell them individually, and they will try to stick you with a 435.00 "AXLE". I bought a joint from CV Restoration, and put it on in about an 2 hours. Hopefully this won't become a regular problem, as kawasaki doesn't warrant cv joints, as they are wear and tear items.

Quick Reply: Brute Force 650 vs Brute Force 650i