Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

exhaust thru oil dip stick

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust thru oil dip stick

Hey can any one tell me what I need to fix my gals ATV. I am rebiulding my swingarm for the second time on my KVF650 and I wennt to use hers to plow my customers and it had a dead bat. so charged it up and then had to rest belt light. did that and quad was missing checked plug wires etc and found that theirs exhaust gases coming out the dip stick. soooo can anyone help me with her kvf650 prairie..?? THANKS

Old 03-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Excessive blow by as you describe can be caused by a number of failures. Broken rings, holed piston, burned piston, bad valve guides and a number of other things can contribute to this problem. Usually excessive blow by will require engine tear down to effect repairs.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well the atv has about 500 hours as she does not ride daily. It had been running fine. It has always been cold blooded in the AM. But my worries are we had a VERY cold spell here a few weeks ago and she did not go riding. Then we had a week of snow thats when I pulled it out to go plow and it did not want to go up pur driveway. is there a freeze plug in the block that may have popped or possable head gasket? any test I can do ??

Old 03-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: THEPLOWGUY
Well the atv has about 500 hours as she does not ride daily. It had been running fine. It has always been cold blooded in the AM. But my worries are we had a VERY cold spell here a few weeks ago and she did not go riding. Then we had a week of snow thats when I pulled it out to go plow and it did not want to go up pur driveway. is there a freeze plug in the block that may have popped or possable head gasket? any test I can do ??
I am not familiar with the construction details of that engine but if it was allowed to freeze you may have internal cracks in the cylinder or head. Didn't even know it was water cooled. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I would suggest you take it to someone that can give you some "hands on" advice. I would also suggest you not run the machine till you find out for sure what the problem is.

Good luck, it could get spendy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks YEP its going into the shop. Has me sick as her atv has alot less hours then mine but here thats the way the game goes in the plowing world[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]But on the bright side of life I'll be one bad _ss ride for hunting season and readdy to plow next year[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

shortly after buying my b f I noticed the same thing, but also with a little oil splatter mixed in.made a call to my dealer he said that was normal.Not being the trusting sort I checked it out through another dealer in carollton tx. he explaned it to me,and it made sense.both pistons share the a common crank shaft journale and move up and down at almost the same time therefore moving almost 650 cc of air in and out of the crankcase with every rotation of the crank.i to thought it sounded like an exhaust type of sound too but turned out to be nothing other than the fact you shouldnt run it with out the dip stick screwed in.hope that holds true for you also and the reason it wont run out is an easy fix.good luck.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Kit1969 makes a valid point about normal crankcase aspiration causing movement of air in and out of the engine. Something I should have mentioned but never even thought of it.

The original post, however, specified the emission of exhaust gasses from the crankcase. While some exhaust will find it's way to the crankcase it is not normal to have a high volume present. THEPLOWGUY apparently has been around a quad judging from the work he was doing and would seem to know what is normal.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes your right about the pressure that comes out the dip stick tube with the engine running. Also how theirs alittle oil splatter. But in this case it is more exhaust (gases) then pressure blow- by . Thanks for the thoought thou.I did check sound,smell etc. of what was coming out of her quad to mine. It is differnt. Again thanks for replys. But I owe I owe off to the shop I go[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]