Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Best Snow Plow

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Snow Plow

I’ve been researching the Warn, Moose, and Cycle Country Snow Plows to be used on my soon to receive Kawasaki 750 Brute Force. I’ll be using a Warn 2.5 Winch to raise and lower the blade. Any advise would be appreciated.
Jim

Old 03-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Best Snow Plow

I have a 60" Moose on my BF750 with a Warn 2.5, I think it does a nice job, durable, easy pivot, and very heavy which helps to scrape. They have two styles, one they call "county" (angled on top) and a straight blade, I prefer the straight style. The current Moose mounting plate has very low profile for minimum impact on ground clearance, not sure about the other brands.

I think you'll find most have experience only with the brand they own, but all of the brands you mentioned are decent in my opinion. Hope this helps!

Old 03-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Best Snow Plow

guzzler2,
That sounds like the same plow configuration that I'm been leaning towards. I've been undecided between the county and the straight blade. What's the deepest fresh snow that you've been able to move? The last time I arrived at my property I had about 3+ feet on my driveway which is about 150 feet uphill to my house/garage and then flat ground to my shop building that's about 150 feet away from my house/garage. The driveway surface is compacted gravel. I've got a guy that I have been using to plow the snow with his truck and I've been thinking if the snow was too deep I could have him initially plow it and then use my BF750 to maintain it as the snow falls. I don't want to put a plow on my F250 Super Duty Diesel.
Jim

Old 03-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Best Snow Plow

Jim,

Sounds like your layout is similar to mine, I have a couple hundred feet of TB gravel drive, hilly. I have been using atvs to plow for a few years. First a Prairie 700, now the BF. In that time I'v only had one storm that caused me problems, and that was last weekend. We got about 15" of really wet, heavy, sloppy snow. I had to work down hill and push small bites from side to side to avoid getting stuck. Other than that, most normal snow is no problem. I can usually plow up and down hill, bust right though deep stuff with ease. It's really amazing what these things will do with snow.

I try to hit the big storms by plowing a couple times, but with "normal" snow I have no problem with a foot or more. I may take more time, but it will do it without too much trouble. I agree, if you end-up with 3 ft again it would be easier to have a truck plow and keep-up after that.

As far as county vs straight, I think the straight gives more options for blade angle depending one your plow pattern...just my opinion

Don't forget to set your plow shoes (some call then adjusters) up about 1/2" to avoid throwing all of your gravel off of your drive.

Congrats on the new BF!

Old 03-06-2007, 03:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Best Snow Plow

guzzler2,
Do you feel you could push a 72" plow with your BF750 or is the extra width even worth it? How about leveling gravel when I redo my driveway? Do you use chains and/or weigh down the racks for extra traction with just your tires?

I’ve plowed with trucks over the years and never looked at an ATV to plow with until my brother got a 6x6 Polaris and it really did a great job. I actually started plowing when I was 9 years old with a war surplus jeep. We lived at the top of the Kittatinny Mountains just west of Blairstown, NJ and just East of the Delaware Water Gap. We had the only snow plow in the area at the time and from when I was 9 until I was 12 I’d clear the road for the small mountain school bus. When I started I had to look out the side of the jeep as I was too short to see above the windshield even with it folded down. Thanks for the tips on the use of the ATV plow.
Jim

Old 03-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Best Snow Plow

Jim,

Just my opinion...I think the 72" plow would be too large to handle. It will lift/carry the weight, but I think it will move the front around too much when you are pushing and I think it would actually slow you down. I have put a 50 lb bag on the front a couple of times to keep heavy snow from moving the front around, but usually not needed. Not sure if chains would help, never looked into it.

As far as gravel, you may be able to top dress/smooth your gravel drive once the gravel is in place (probably dragging over it in reverse), but I don't think it will work well for moving the gravel around to start. I have used mine to spread small piles of dry topsoil or mulch, this worked pretty well.

I'd like to ge my hands on that old surplus jeep you mentioned, that would be a fun project!

Guz

Old 03-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Best Snow Plow

guz,
What I'm getting from you and others that have sent me PMs is that I'd be better off with a 5' (60") Moose straight blade.

Can you elaborate a little more re what you wrote about the straight blade giving more options for blade angle depending on my plow pattern. I was just concerned about powdered fresh snow coming over the top of the straight blade that is only 16" high but I could always fabricate a top flap.

At the same time for the county blade that angles up from 16" at one end and tapers to 26" tall at the other end to be effective it really requires speed to throw the snow. If I got going fast enough to utilize it properly and hit a large chunk of ice I could go a$$ over tea kettle with the short wheel base of the BF750 vs just snapping plow mounts like I did years ago using my pickup. I guess with the Moose straight blade I could raise the plow for the first pass and lower it to a more manageable depth on a second pass and then afterwards keep after it during a steady snow fall. The main thing is that I do that second pass or my tire prints will turn to caked ice if I left them. I will always have the option to have a truck give me an initial clearing plow.

Any further input you or others can give me would really be appreciated as I have to place my order early next week so the plow can be put in the shipping container with my new BF750 as it looks like I'll be getting it in the next couple of weeks.
Jim

Old 03-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Best Snow Plow

Jim,

I have a bunch of tight areas, corners, along side of building, etc and think the lower height plow might be a little easier to control, but just my opinion.

You probably have a good point regarding lots of powder, with the angle plow height and with the top flap it will push more powder. It sounds like you generally get more snow than I do, but I just haven't had much of an issue with powder snow so far. I am not sure if the bigger blade would help/hurt with really heavy snow, my guess is it would be OK.

I'm sure both would work OK for you, for the few extra $$ it sounds like the county blade might be better for your needs. Either way I think you'll be fine. Guz

Old 03-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Best Snow Plow

Guz,
I ordered a new 60" Moose County Blade today and I'll see how it works. If it doesn't do what I want I'll get a straight blade. Thanks for your advise,
Jim