Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Please help...I hate being off the quad!!!!.ridning is my life!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help...I hate being off the quad!!!!.ridning is my life!!

hey I have a Kawasaki Bayou 220 that has started to smaoke a little... here are some details....this four wheeler was used on a farm and several ambitous boys have ridden it....soo....the muffler is blown out(heard the bayou's are known for this!!) , the exhaust pipe rattles, (gasket is out). I have ridden this atv for a long time like this, but recently it has seemed to be doggy in power....

I found that the engine mounting bolts weren't tight soo I tightened them up.... well after a few weeks the above problem of noo power kicked in, and I noticed that there was oil all over the front part of the frame, steering column, and i mean it was coated with it....

I was wonderin what was going on here...someting cracked??, valve warped from cold water on hot valve from pipe being loose?. blown head gasket?, I runs and starts fine but just doesn't have power....any help is appreciated....big time....

i like this atv and do not want to let it go....later and thanks for the help

Old 04-10-2007, 10:13 PM

i belive the bayou was a 2 stroke i belive(not sure) but if there was a loss in power u ither need a rebuild or the head gasket is gone
do u know what the compression is im assuming that it should be around 125 to 135 pounds of compression if its low ur probley gonna need a rebuild but also if the head gaskets blown out ur not gonna get a good reading on it so if ur good with tools and motors id check the gaskets......BUT id do this frist take the carb out and the manafoild off and put a marrio on the carb side and shine a light up on the other side and see if u can see any scratches in the cylinder and if so ur gonna need a rebuild but if not ur gaskes are probley shot(just mi 2 cents)

Old 04-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

thank you trail......I will try that...cuz i'm at a loss right now.....if any of you other people want to put in your 2 cents feel free to do so!!!...any help is appreciated!!...Kowie

Old 04-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: trailblazermudrunner
i belive the bayou was a 2 stroke i belive(not sure) but )
I had a 2002 220 Bayou and it was a 4 stroke motor.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes it was ...i failed to catch that in the last message.....people!!...leave some 2 cents...i need help!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:09 PM

thank you for correctiong me i just wasnt sure im not really knowladgeb on the bayou i know more about 2 strokes that i really know about the inner parts of a 4 stroke i know like the parts and how they work for the most part but never really torn into a 4 but thanks for clearing that up for me

but yea kowie check ur compression and see if u can see any scratches on the cylinders

Old 04-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do a compression check. valves could be out of adjustment. the smoking can be from bad rings. the lack of power could be from low compression or valves out. if its leaking alot of oil then it might have a gasket problem. make sure head bolts are tight.