Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

'07 Brute Force error message 2WD 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 Brute Force error message 2WD 4WD

Hello everyone !
Has any one had this problem ? The display flashes 2wd , 4wd and you havent even used 4 wd? Its been in the shop 4 times for the same thing and they cant seem to find what the problem is. And no......... I havent shifted on the fly...... yes , I wait until the display reads 0 mph before I shift.
It also effects the engine braking... sometimes.
They have reset it, cleaned the connections, replaced actuators , controls , you name it.
I was on a ride 2 weeks ago........ nasty rock climbs , wet conditions , dust , speed, high altitude, cold , hot , it took it all , all 90 miles......... it came back fine , no error message.
This last weekend...... I went on a cool slow 15mph ride , smooth road.. easy.
ERROR !! haha.......... what the ?
It goes back to the shop tomorrow..... help !!

Old 06-14-2007, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you have a short somewhere & it is triggering your Acutuator ('s), like a electrical spike which then affects the 2/4wd indicator.
Have the horn wires checked under the front body plastic, they are near the left top radiator, have these wire ends cleaned, closed off since you are not using them.
Also on the rear end near the tail lite, do the same to the two wire ends back there. Then reclean your Fuses & reinstall the fuses.
The flashing of the 2wd/4wd will interfer with your engine braking. And yes, you can shift on the fly between 2/4wd High, as it will kick in or out at any speed at 7mph or less.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Thanks !
I'll check into that. It sounds like a short to me as well.
Are you sure about shifting on the fly less than 7mph ? The service dept. at the dealer told me over and over NOT to be moving when I hit the switch.

I dropped off the BF yesterday........ the service manager ordered both actuators, the control unit and switch. I will call and tell him about what you said as well.

He said they have had at least 6 BF's in there with the same problem, Kawi has had numerous complaints and they just cant narrow it down. What fixes one , wont fix another.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have the '007 too & have no problems but I already fixed those two open wire ends at both the frt & rear. When the Key is "ON" these wires are Hot, meaning they have power to them. Tape them off if you aren't going to use them.
Yes, it is fine to shift into & out of 4wd/2wd while the BF is rolling, just be at 7 or less MPH,this is a known fact on the Kawie's. Now when I use 4wd low range, then I always stop for engagement. You will Hear a clunk but this is normal when either you are disengaging or engaging while rolling. If you hit that 4wd/2wd button while out riding at other speeds, no big deal b/c it won't change what you are in till you get below 7mph.
The reason the Dealers are saying not to shift into 4wd while moving is mainly b/c of the frt diff lock. More Care has to be given when using the frt diff lock, You never want to engage the frt diff lever if the frt tires are spinning fast.
The other rule: Use 4wd Low Range any time you are poking along at below 15mph & 4x4 is needed, either on a steep climb, crawling over rocks, logs and so forth. Your CVT Belt will thank you & so will your Wallet..