Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 700 problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 700 problem

Let me start off by saying hello to all of yall. Now let me get to the question. I have a '06 Prairie 700; I have been having some sort of fuel problem with this dude. Here is the deal. It Idols fine, starts fine, and runs great as long as you are not over about half throttle. Once you give it more than half throttle it starts sputtering out and acts very strange. It will not go over 28 miles an hour. I don't think its the carb. cause the last two guys that looked at it cleaned them. but who knows if they actually did anything. I havent had any luck with any of the shops that I have taken it to. The last guy that looked at it charged us around 500 bucks and fixed it for a little while. It ran like a scalded dog for about a month or so then one day I was ridding it slowly for about 30 minutes or so doing regular chores on the ranch. After about 30 minutes I had a chance to give it some gas and it started sputtering out again. I can not for the life of me figure this thing out. I love the ATV and wish I knew more about how to fix it. If any one can help a newbie out it would be greatly appreciated, I am no mechanic but if any of you guys know of one in Texas that can help me out I will be in your debt. Thanks and Gig 'EM.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have some trash in your tank that keep getting in your carbs.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

Trash in the tank is not likely, being it is an 06. I would check the connections on your airbox. If a clamp is loose or missing, and the guy just put it back on without a clamp or with a bad clamp, it would explain why it ran ok for awhile. Make sure your crankcase vent is attached at both ends (the hose on the bottom rear of the airbox). Does your fan run a lot? If so, it is an air leak. If the airbox is ok, the next check I would do would be the fuel vent tubes on the top rear of the fuel tank. Make sure they are not kinked anywhere. I have also heard of a bad ground that would do cause those symptoms. Check the battery first, then there are grounds on the lower LH side where your ankle would be and the front LH side above the wheel on the thermostat. Your belt sensor could be getting tripped too. Do a search for "limp mode".

Old 07-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

The fan does run quite a bit, but I just thought it was the Texas heat causing this. I have run the engine with the air box open and it seems to act the same. Where would I look for the air leaks at? I would love to do it my self I am just apprehensive about taking the thing apart. I am afraid I might do more damage to it than good. I don't know that if I saw a problem that I would even be able to know it was there. I do want to learn more about this beast. When it is running good it is like sitting on a rocket. I appreciate the help and would love some more ideas from anyone. Right now I will try to look for the problems that you guys suggested. How will I know if the belt sensor is tripped?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer

You can look up under the airbox from the RH side of the engine. You'll probably need a flashlight. There should be a larger hose (crankcase vent) connected to the rear of the airbox, and two smaller hoses at the front, along with a rubber drain. A good start would be to pick up a service manual at the dealer or online, about $50. You also might try kawieriders.com and nyrocatv.com. They have information more specific to your Prairie.