Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Stop the Clatter

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop the Clatter

I absolutely love my 650i in every respect except one, and it drives me crazy. When I am riding fairly slow on rough terrian, like a rocky road, there is so much clatter in what sound like the gears. This drives me insane. If the engine noise did'nt scare the deer off, this clatter could be heard a long distance.

My question: Is there anything I can do about this? Does some kind of linkage need to be adjusted? Please advise.

Brute Force 650i
Castle Rock
Maxxis Big Horn Radial

Praire 700
ITP
ITP Mud Lite

Old 08-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stop the Clatter

Where does the noise come from you think, top end, cvt, front gear box, etc? Did the noise come from the beginning/day one or after you put any aftermarket parts on the bike?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default Stop the Clatter

i've got a 07 650I that has made rattling noise coming from the motor and chalked it up to being the cvt. Is this normal?

Old 08-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stop the Clatter

The clatter sounds like it comes from underneath the motor with maybe a little forward. It has no after market parts except wheels and tires, and only has 135 miles on it. It only makes the clatter when its bouncing over rough terrian. It is clearly not a noise in the engine. It seems to be more related to either gears or something like linkage. It also is more noticable when going very slow down hill. I have not noticed it going up hill.

Thanks

Brute Force 650i
Castle Rock
Maxxis Big Horn Radial

Praire 700
ITP
ITP Mud Lite

Old 08-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stop the Clatter

No, it is not normal to have the rattling noise in the CVT. I have 3 quads with CVT and none of them make such noise on any of my quads. Have you had a chance to find out what was causing the rattling noise in the CVT?

Old 08-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stop the Clatter

My 06 BF 650sra has made this ratteling sound from day one, it was doing it when it was driven from the show room floor to my truck..So I assume it's a normal sound to this ATV,although I could be wrong,but so far it's been through some rough stuff and still going with no metal chips in any drive or engine oil..

Old 08-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stop the Clatter

If the noise is coming "only" when decelerating, try to adjust the gear selector tie-rod linkage. Usually it needs to be shortened about 2 complete turns (of the adjustment nut).

Old 08-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stop the Clatter

Thanks. I'll check the linkage.

Brute Force 650i
Castle Rock
Maxxis Big Horn Radial

Praire 700
ITP
ITP Mud Lite

Old 08-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stop the Clatter

it is perfectly normal. it is just drivetrain back lash (aka) freeplay in the gears.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stop the Clatter

I have the BF 750 and have a lot of what seems to be backlash in the drivetrain when on and off the throttle. Where is the linkage adjuster located? I also have a comuter or dashboard that comes on line when the key is turned on then quits after a few minutes of riding. It does pop on from time to time but nothing steady. I hope is just a ground problem or something small. Any and all help relating to either of these two issues would be gretaly appreciated.Thanks, Ron

Quick Reply: Stop the Clatter