Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Question about fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about fuel gauge

I have an 04 Suzuki 700 twinpeaks and I know its pretty much a 700 prairie so my question is are the fuel gauges pretty accurate or is there a reserve tank? I bought mine last monday and I have not ridden it yet. Thanks

Old 10-22-2007, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are all a little different but on my Kawasaki P650 VTwin when the last bar started flashing I still had close to 15 miles left in gas before I ran empty.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avalanche2082 I have a 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 4x4 it has the pod with an anolog and a LCD display but the fuel gauge is LCD only , hour meter , High beam indicater , Clock/Engine Hour meter , oil lamp , heat lamp , mileage in miles/ or kilos and a Battery Condition indicatier are all LCD ; if the battery get's to low the Speedometer/ Tachometer will not work the LCD will be blank except the word VOLT will flash if a low voltage (<9 DC volts) or a high voltage (> 16 DC volts) is detected ; and when the voltage return's to normal the gauge has to be reset by turning the ignition key OFF then back ON ! It has a anolog Speedometer/Tachometer/ with an LCD diisplay indicater that indicates MPH/KPH or RPMS , 2 trip meters these trip meters can be reset they are LCD only also , The fuel gauge has light bar's LCD display only ; and it's states in my manual when the bottom segment/ bar flashes you have approximately 3.5 Liters or (0.92 U.S. gallon's ) remaing in the tank ! So there's no reserve on my AC 400 , but it has a gas tank that hold's 24.6Liters ( 6.5 U.S. Gallons ) Of fuel ; i've had my bottom bar start to flash only once and when i refilled the tank it only held 2 and a half gallon's to refill it so the gauge doesn't register correctly i just remove the gas cap and shake the quad to see how much fuel i have in the tank ! My brother has a 2004 Honda TRX 350 FM Rancher fulltime 4x4 manual shift geared Tranny with the semi auto clutch so he get's better mileage than my AC 400 Auto,, when i ride with him i know when he get's low on fuel and has to go to reserve i've got as much fuel as he has ; because his tank only hold's about 4 and a half gallon's ! When it's time for him fill up his tank it's time for me to refill mine also , when i ride with someone who doesn't have a fuel gauge ; i use to remove gas cap and shake the quad to see how low on fuel i am and i alway's carry a 2 and a half gallon jug of gas with me just in case i run into someone who has ran out of fuel like i did once on my old 86' Honda TRX 350 Foreman 4x4 i had gone farther on a tank of fuel before but i had a small leak in the metal tank and i had to replace the tank where rust has eaten a hole in the tank ! And that cost me $287.96 + tax , that hurt but if someone hadn't come along that had some extra fuel back at his camo site i would've had a long way to crawl back to my truck ; because i lost both leg's just below the knee's in an automobile accident in 1975 so it's a must to be prepared for an emergency weather it's you or someone else in need of fuel you never know ! I would trade all these electronic's on my AC for a good GPS system , i really don't like all this electronic gadget's ; they're just something else to cost you money two repair or replace down the road sooner or later they will go bad and i hate to think what it will cost to replace the pod on this machine ! Someone on the AC forums had their fuel gauge replaced under warranty , but he said it did the same thing after a few day's ; so it was just a waste of his time replacing something that will just do the samething even though it was covered under warrany he was with out his atv for almost a month before they got the part in stock and did the labor installing the part ! I know it wouldn't do anygood taking it in to replace the fuel sensor on my quad , my Local Dealer told me she would put a new one in my 400 at no cost ; but she told me that everone they have replaced did the same thing as the original one did ! But she did offer to replace mine and she told me she would get the senor in first and call me when it came in ; then she said she would put me at the top of the list and would have it ready to go while i watched them install the new one but i told her as long as it doesn't effect the runing and driving of the atv i could live without it ! She did give me a new gas cap that has the rubber gauge like the one that came out on the 88' to 93' Suzuki LTF4WD 250 Quad Runner and the Suzuki LTF4WD 300 King Quad ; it only goes to about halfway from the bottom of the big fuel tank on the AC400 but i know when it get's below the half tank mark so this work's fine for me ! And i could alway's add another rubber gauge to the short one to make it long enough to reach the bottom of the tank , but i know i can go at least 75 mile's on ahalf tank of fuel the way i ride ; and my brother runs off and leave's me to eat his dust when i let him be the leader i try to let him get far enough ahead of me so i won't have to eat his dust ; only to have him waiting on me asking me what's wrong can't you stay up with me on that big bad 400 of your Big Bad 2006 Arctic Cat 400 with a 376cc Suzuki engine that can't keep up with my 2004 Honda TRX 350 Rancher FullTime 4x4 ! The last time he did this , i told him to follow me , and i really stirred up the dust everychanch i could to show him why i let him run off and leave me in his dust ; after i lead the way he started laggin behind so far back i had to stop and wait for him to catch up to me ! I ask him what took him so long and he first said i stopped to take a picture of something , then he told me the truth that he had to back off to keep from eating my dust ; i told him see i told you so and i allways wear a white shirt and white pant's every time we go riding together and my shirt and pant's are alway's brown after a dry ride i can slap on my shirt and pant;s and dust cloud's come out of my shirt and pant's! It has been dry with water ban's all summer long Carters Dam , in Murray County Ga is so low that they had to close ti to boating ; and this has only happened once in over 20 yrs. but it has been rainning off and on for 4 day's now and i hope it will keep it up untill we get the water table's back to normal again we sure need it bad ! Sorry for such a long post and i hope your 700 twinpeaks run's and ride's great you can get a couple of the rubber fuel gauges from a dealer who has them in stock , or you could make your own from a peice of rubber to carry in you tool kit so you can see for sure ; how much fuel you have in you tank a lot cheaper than replacing a fuel senser that will only do the same down the road ! ............