Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2003 Prairie 650 Won't go over 8 mph???What's wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Prairie 650 Won't go over 8 mph???What's wrong

I replaced the batery.I changed the plugs.I removed and replaced the gas.Air filter is clean.The belt light is on and it has a new belt.THIS 650 IDLES FINE.WE DRIVE AROUND AND PULL A LOAD OK IF UNDER 8 MPH.BUT IF YOU GIVE IT THROTTLE IT BACKFIRES,POPS AND IS HORRIBLE.I NEED TO KNOW WHAT I NEED TO CHECK AND DO.WHAT IS WRONG.PLEASE HELP.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Are you hearing anything odd? Something that doesnt sound right?....And what exactly is it doing when it hits 8mph...is it bogging down ready to stall? Does it maybe sound like its in neutral when u hit 8mph?

Old 01-18-2008, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider

Did you just notice the belt light coming on? I was told that on Kawis that the belt lights come on every 100 hours. I was also told by a salesperson at the dealership that you need to reset the belt light or the quad goes into a "safe" mode and will not go over 10 mph. Don"t know how much truth that this has but I know how to reset my belt light on my V-force and the might just be the same. On the V you lift the seat up and find the black and grey plug junctions, unplug them, then plug the black to the grey and the grey to the black. Turn on the key and the belt light should flash. Then turn off the ignition and plug them back the way they should be and turn on the key...the belt light should be off!! The black and grey plugs are 4 pin connectors under the seat. This is right out of the Kawi shop manual for the KFX700. The 650 brute uses basically the same tranny so hopefully it is the same!! Hope this helps[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Let us know if this solves your problem or not, or shoot me a p.m. I am kinda curious to see if it works for you.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Range Rover

its in limp mode do the belt re set..also check the switch in the cvt cover make sure its in the on position

Old 01-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah what Blacknight said

On mine inorder to get it home (mine happened in 2+ ft of snow) I cut the wires for "the belt is worn out switch", and wraped the harrness side 2 wires together, and it ran great after that.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

Oneshot,

Safe bet that your belt switch is tripped. Take off the CVT cover. Inside, on the top, you will find the switch. If it is in the forward position (towards the front of the quad) it is tripped. You need to switch it to the rear position. However, if your belt needs adjustment, you will have to adjust the belt tension. There is great info, on how to do this, at Nyroc's site. In the meantime, after flipping the switch to the rear, you then have to do a reconnect with the five pin connectors, to reset the belt light and tell the cdi that you have reset the switch. You will then be able to run full speed ahead. Good luck!

Here is some info from nyroc's site:
2003 650 and 2004 700 can also have their belt switches tripped by a loose belt. A tripped switch will cause loss of power. Adjust the belt and flip switch to the "ON" position (a loose belt flips it to off). However, the belt light may stay on after flipping the switch back to "ON", or it may have come on automatically at 100 hours to get you to return the machine to the dealer for inspection even though the belt switch is not tripped. The following procedures will reset the light if the belt switch is not tripped. A belt light needing to be reset (such as at 100 hours) will cause early 2003 machines to loose power, but not later ones (I am told). If you aren't sure which procedure to use on your 2003 650, try the first one. If it does not reset the light use the second one.

Early 2003 650 Belt light reset procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect the belt failure switch at the 2-pin connector above the CVT cover. (Note: Just follow the wires coming from the rectangular black box on the CVT Cover to locate this connector.)

3. Disconnect both sets of 5 pin connectors located above the CVT cover. Note: These connectors are located just beneath the shift handle on the right side of the 650; one is black and one is grey.

4. Connect these 5 pin connectors to their opposite pairs (grey to black and black to grey).

5. Turn the ignition switch ON.

6. Observe the belt-warning lamp. It should be flashing at a 0.4 second interval for a few seconds then start to flash slower. Let the lamp flash for at least seven seconds.

7. After seven seconds or more, turn the ignition switch off.

8. Reconnect 5 pin connectors to their proper location (black to black, grey to grey).

9. Connect the belt failure switch 2-pin connector (wires from CVT cover).

10. Turn the ignition switch on to confirm that the belt warning light is not flashing. Retry this procedure if needed. As far as I have heard it always works if the belt switch isn't tripped and there are no electrical problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Late 2003 and 2004 700 Belt light reset procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect both sets of 5 pin connectors located above the CVT cover. Note: These connectors are located just beneath the shift handle on the right side of the 650; one is black and one is grey.

3. Connect these 5 pin connectors to their opposite pairs (grey to black and black to grey).

4. Turn the ignition switch ON.

5. Disconnect the belt failure switch at the 2-pin connector above the CVT cover. (Note: Just follow the wires coming from the rectangular black box on the CVT Cover to locate this connector.)

6. Observe the belt-warning lamp. It should be flashing at a 0.4 second interval for a few seconds then start to flash slower. Let the lamp flash for at least seven seconds.

7. After seven seconds or more, turn the ignition switch off.

8. Reconnect 5 pin connectors to their proper location (black to black, grey to grey).

9. Connect the belt failure switch 2-pin connector (wires from CVT cover).

10. Turn the ignition switch on to confirm that the belt warning light is not flashing. Retry this procedure if needed. As far as I have heard it always works if the belt switch isn't tripped and there are no electrical problems.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Can't find black 5 pin

I need help I am running in limp mode. Had to change the cdi to get it to run. Now in limp mode but can't find the black 5pin plug to do what is suggested above