Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

1996 Bayou 300 won't run above idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Bayou 300 won't run above idle

I have a 96 Bayou 300 4x2 w/ unknown hours and about 1200 miles on it. The ATV has been run every few weeks and has been running treated gas for several years. I don't think the gas is bad.

The ATV was started on full choke and left idleing to warm up for a few minutes. The motor died and would not restart. Eventually, the plug was pulled and it was black and coated w/ gas. We spun the engine to air it out and put in a new plug. No Go... I pulled the carb, disassembled, cleaned and put back together. It was not dirty inside, no gum, no varnish, etc.

The motor will now start, but not run much above idle. If I try to run above idle, it will sputter and/or backfire/die.

I have a good connection between the carb and the engine. I don't think I have any component problems in the carb. The vacumn booster doesn't appear to have any holes in it.

I am not sure if the choke cable connection to the carb is good. The plastic part is broken, but it seems to seat to the carb. Not sure if this would create an air leak or not.

Also, I don't think the in-tank fuel filter is clogged as gas pours out the fuel shutoff when opened w/ out the carb connected.

I don't think there are any settings for the jets, other than the air/fuel jet. I have it set at 2 1/2 turns. The rest in the bowl are screwed in completely.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what else to do and don't want to spend much on taking this to a shop as it is an older ATV. The shop is my next stop...

Old 02-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

what are you calling treated gas?Did you take the 2 jets out and make sure they were not clogged when you had the carb apart?

Old 02-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gas was treated w/ Stabil - so it shouldn't be bad. Also have the same gas in another ATV and it is running w/ no problems.

I took out all of the jets, cleaned them w/ carb. cleaner and also used a needle to clean the passages. There was no gum or varnish and none of the tiny holes in the jets had anything blocking them.

I am wondering if it might have something to do with the choke cable. It won't start, even cold, with the choke on. Also, when it is running, turning the choke on, will kill the engine very quickly.