Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

08 650sra

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 650sra

I'm double posting this b/c I figured a new topic was more fitting than my "trading up" topic...hope nobody is offended!!

I picked up the 650 today, couple questions. It was smoking a bit, grey smoke when i was test riding it after I got home. I checked the oil and it was about 1/3" above the High mark. I pulled some oil out thinking it was just overfilled. Haven't tried it again as it's dark and cold now. 2nd question...When I put the key in and turn it on the oil pressure warning light flashes, is this normal? When I start the bike it goes away...is that normal? 3rd question...riding it around my neighborhood, as soon as the bike hit's 55mph, which feels ridiculously fast after the prairie by the way, it almost dies, automatically almost jerkingly slows down...is this b/c the bike is not sufficiently warmed up or is there some sort of governer or rev limiter I should know about? The bike has 10 miles on it, but about 8 hrs, from being pulled out and driven around the dealer's lot. Not sure if it needs more breaking in or what...the throttle limiting screw is flush back plate...so that's not limiting it.

please help me out...I really want to love this machine as i ate quite a bit on my trade in.

thanks

Old 02-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default 08 650sra

Things you described moslty normal in some situations and here's my input.

> Smoking. Check inside airbox for any oil residue. If engine oil is overfilled, some might have migrated into the air box via crankcase breather tube - causing oil smoking.

> Oil light flashing is normal with ign key ON but engine not running. That's because there is no oil pressure when not running, just like in your car.

> Almost dies at WOT. Well, I wouldn't think it as dying but feels more like sputtering or hesitating. That's because engine rev limitter is kicking in as it is programmed in your ECU.

It sounds you've been giving a good hard runs on a brand new machine. If you think anything is abnormal, let your selling dealer know now for the record. Just remember how your CVT works and learn to use it properly if it's your first CVT quad. Slipping, damaging/burnign up CVT belt is one of the most common mistakes.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default 08 650sra

I also have a 08 650sra, the oil light is normal, the "chugging" at high speeds for me at least is not normal, I have had my 650 up to 63mph and I weigh 360lbs and it doest sputter, cough, lug or anythign It just "peaks" out

Old 03-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default 08 650sra

All of those issues went away on my second ride. I got it up to 66 mph w/ no sputtering. The excess oil made it's way out and it now runs like a champ. I had a problem w/ the idle screw as well..."somebody" didn't bother to screw it into the carb. It was just hanging there attatched to the ****. Luckily I discovered that before losing the whole deal and screwed it into the carb. Now it idles like a champ and runs great. Couldn't imagine a better machine for my needs. Power to spare yet is as comfortable, fit wise, as my little prairie was. I was a little worried, as i'm only 155lbs 5'9" riding such a powerful machine. Not an issue.