Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Problems cold starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008 | 01:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Problems cold starting

sounds like it is not timed right, if it ran good before try it that way, sounds like intake valve is open at the wrong time, so exhaust will be wrong as well

Old 04-30-2008 | 08:33 AM
|
Trailblazer

Thats what I was thinking, just wanted an expert opinion. I will try re-setting it back to what it was and let you know. Thanks, Don

Old 05-03-2008 | 10:37 AM
Trailblazer

Can I throw a question into this mix? My 2001 Bayou 300 2X4 has problems with cold starts. I did a complete rebuild on the carb with no benefit. Sometimes the thing starts on first crank, and for God's sake don't touch the throttle or choke. If it doesn't start immediately, it floods badly and exhibits similar symptoms to those you have been describing. Any advice would be appreciated.
Jim

Old 05-03-2008 | 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

i am assuming it ran fine before? how does it run when you get it running? check compression spark and fuel

Old 05-03-2008 | 03:28 PM
Trailblazer

This has been a quad that would start on first touch of the starter, or first pull on the rope, but has always tended to flood if you push the throttle or choke before trying to start. Becoming a hard starter happened pretty suddenly. I suspect the float needle valve may need to be replaced, but visual inspection of the neopreme tip and the seat appear fine. It gets spark at the plug, but doesn't look particularly strong. I replaced the plug and used a squirt of B-12 in the carb throat this morning. It fired right up. I drove it about three miles, shut off the fuel and let the motor run till it died. I'm going to let it sit overnight, then try a cold start. The aggravating thing, is that when it starts, it runs great, but I can't let it be tempermental or it will quit at the most inconvenient time (Murphy's Law).

Jim

Old 05-05-2008 | 02:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

generally when the float valve needs replacing it fills the float bowl and fuel flows out of the overflow, into airbox, into cylinder past rings and into oil etc. pull your plug and see how rich it has been running. i have had a few machines that a shorted plug would be hard starting and would run well most of the time. test spark to make sure it is strong with a blueish color.

Old 05-08-2008 | 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the advice and support.

After dark I removed the plug from my poor starting KLF300, and with the wire connected I wedged it against the frame and hit the starter.... very poor spark. I pulled the wire and got no reading from an ohm meter. The wire checked okay, but the plug cap appeared bad. I unscrewed the plug inside the plug cap and found a 1/2" long x 1/8" diameter resistor and spring. The resistor showed no ohm reading. The only reason I was getting spark from the coil to the plug was "Skin Effect" where a small arc was jumping the resistor and allowing the plug to fire a weak spark. I replaced the resistor with a piece of ground off drill bit the same size as the resistor. Now I can't keep the engine from starting when I hit the starter.

EURIKA!

Now the next question.... Of what importance is the resistor? Does it really need to be replaced?

Thanks,
Jim