Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

220 bayou engine help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 220 bayou engine help

im working on a 220 bayou for my girlfriends mom, i believe its a 2002. before i got it her husband tore the lifters and cam out of it. the lifters were all ground down. she wants me to put new lifters and cam in it. im a little reluctant to do so because i know that there is a reason that they are wore out. oil pump maybe? wheres it at? any suggestions? i read somewhere it has a plastic gear. do they go bad ? i will be putting new cam , bearings and lifters in. any thing else i should be aware of?
and since im not the one who tore it apart and i dont have a book, how do i set the cam timing when i put it back together. and whats the clearence on the lifters set to?
any help on this would be great. thanx in advance.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:36 AM
Range Rover

First thing I'd do is find a used factory service manual on ebay. The oil pump is behind the clutches on the right side. Pull the cover off and you'll find the clutches. The oil pump gear is plastic and I've heard they can go bad, but a lot of the time when the camshaft is bad in these it's because the oil was either low or never changed. I don't have my manual handy, but i do remember that the cam sprocket has a mark on it that aligns with a mark on the top of the cam sprocket cover on the head. Seems like the crank is where it needs to be when the "O" on the flywheel is visible in the hole on the left side. Don't hold me to that when you put it together, but it will give you a rough idea. I'll dig out my manual and give you the details, along with the valve adj. specs.

Also, if you have a bad camshaft, I wonder what your rod big end bearing looks like. Turn the crank so that the piston is halfway down the cylinder. With a pencil in the spark plug hole, hold the pencil on top of the piston and at the same time turn the crank slightly back and forth. Is there play, or does the piston move immediately up and down? This is not a very good way to check a rod bearing, but if it's shot, you might be able to feel the clearance. Hope that helps...

Old 05-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

her husband said he put a new cam in it last year. he said it started tapping so he took it apart and found that the lifters were wore out. he said he just wanted me to put in the new bearings and lifters. the oil level as of now is full but thats not to say they didnt run it low. im thinking that he had the lifters adjusted to tight.
i guess before taking the side case and clutch off. ill put the parts in and see if its getting oil.
thanks for the replie

Old 05-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Range Rover

If it's running, you could loosen one of the oil line bolts and see if you are getting adequate oil to the head. The bayou 220 doesn't have lifters, just rocker arms that come directly off of the camshaft and push on the valves. If the rocker arms were shot too, I'd be concerned with the rockers wearing out the new cam. Also, the rocker arm pivots might be shot too. Probably not telling you much you don't already know though. I'll try to get you the valve adj. specs later today.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

It would be a good idea to check the condition of the "plastic" oil pump gear if you still tearing into the motor. If the oil pump gear teeth are found to be heat damaged, then the quad was running abnormally hot - obviously. But why and how? In normal or proper riding manner, the plastic gear would last many years. But if there is too much (semi-auto) clutch slipping or ride the quad in HIGH gear at LOW speeds for a LONG period of time, the engine oil becomes extremely hot and causes the melting.