Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

How much weight would it take for an axel housing to ruin it

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much weight would it take for an axel housing to ruin it

Here's the thing, i have to some times pull my friend out of mud with my kawasaki mojave and he has a Ozark.I tie a stonge rope or cable to my axel housing and i am worried about ruinning the axel or the axel housing. How much force would it take to do anything to the axel housing? ( i no that a rope can't do anyhting to ruin the axel houising, but will a chain or stronge cable.)How much Wieght wil it take to bend or ruin the axel housing on a kawasaki mojave or any 250 ATV?
----------------------------------------
2002 Kawasaki Mojave 250

Old 05-31-2008, 06:31 PM

do u have a place to hook the rope or chain or the cable on to the axel housing or do u just rap the rope around the axel housing. if so why dont u just tie it to the grab bar would u rather spend around say $800 or would u ratther spend 100 on a new grab bar

Old 06-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Range Rover

Well, i tie the rope around the axel housing, and from past experience with pulling other atvs with my quad, axel housings can with stand much more weight than the grab bar and i no for a fact that the small ATV i pull would not mess up the axel housing , i was just wondering how much the axel housing can wth stand.
---------------------------
2002 Kawasaki Mojave 250
Maxxis Mud Bugs coming soon!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 03:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I made a trailer from a swingarm and axle from a 87 suzuki 230 quadsport. I've hauled lots of 1000 lb loads of dirt in it! How do I know???? Well, my digger weighs 1500lbs and my quad pulls that with no problem. I've piled so much dirt in the trailer the quad can't begin to move it. So, I figure the weight of the trailer and dirt must be around 2000lb. And since I carry less than that usually...... I rekon I carry around roughly 1000lbs of dirt and probably 1500lbs of weight on the axle all the time.

The trailer has been in service for about a yr and I have no problems to report.

So,,,,, How much weight would it take to ruin an axle?????? A LOT!!! I bet you could tie a 50ft rope to big tree n your axle and then take off as fast as you can and STILL not bend anything. Of course you would go flying over the handlebars......

Old 06-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Pro Rider

I've learned to always tow or pull with the axle. Attaching to the grab handle or to a rack put the leverage too high up on the machine. When you attach your strap or rope or chain to one of these higher places on the machine you are much more likely to flip the machine over backwards. It can happen quite quickly too.

I never thought about it until I was pulling a friend out of a ditch and I attached the hook to my grab bar. This was a foot or so higher than the hitch on the axle. Next think I know I'm on my back with the machine coming down on top of me. After I got the ATV off of me and tipped back over I attached the strap to the hitch on the axle and I pulled him out without incident.

A few days later I hooked a strap to a tree and tried different attachment points on my ATV. There was a definite increase in the tendency for the front end to come over the higher I moved the attachment point on the ATV. there was a really big difference between the hitch on the axle and hooking it to the top loop on the rack. Big difference that became even more noticeable when the anchor point on the tree was lowered (like when you are pulling someone out of a ditch) and the attachment point on the ATV was at it's highest point on the top loop of the rack. it was shockingly easy to flip the machine over backwards.

Just something to think about when you're rigging up to recover a stuck machine.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:18 PM
rv
Pro Rider

iv pulled some heavy loads with sra atvs i used it to pull a 27 ft river boat and a 19 ft sea ray that ways over 3000 lbs just to move them around in the yard and iv pulled my atv trailor heaping with dirt quight a long ways to land scape the neighbours yard nuthing with a heavy toung waight [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and my atv trailor is made from the axle of a 1987 big red [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]