Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Light Smoking after WOT runs

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light Smoking after WOT runs

Hey guys, I need some help from the more experienced engine techs etc. I have kept very good care of my 06 650i Brute, but some of the past few times i have ran it to top speed and slow back down to a stop, Then take off it puffs out blue smoke. It did it yesterday followin my gf down the road to the house. Let it set in the yard til the next day checked the oil, perfectly fine, wasnt even broke down, cranked it up and it was still smoking, started getting worried then, ran it around yard for about a literal five minutes, was still lightly smoking. Wrapped up the throttle a few times and puffs of light smoke came out so I drove down the road to the neighbors house and came back. By the time i got back it had quit smoking entirely. It has done it a few times before, but not that bad. I have even seen my buddies do it, but also not that bad. I have kept the air filter clean, and the oil changed very often, and rarely have it in muddy and dusty conditions. It is ran hard seldom, but up to high speeds on regular occasions.(Meaning few drag wot runs, just sustained high speeds). I even keep her washed clean, so needless to say that kind of makes me sick to my stomach. If anyone can give me some diagnosis to this i would feel tons better. Thanks in advance -Joe

Old 07-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

It's a good sign your not loosing any oil.

Maybe the choke is sticking or it's just running rich?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

How many mi. on it ? Sometimes if you use synthetic oil too early before break in , or before the rings have a chane to seat it will smoke do to the molecules being smaller in the syn. oil. Thats what I hear.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Range Rover

She has 2250 miles on 'er. Pretty much 2yrs old. The thing is pretty much the majority of the mileage is just road travel, easy miles. I was thinking surely the rings could not be worn down this freakin early, or any grooves in the sleeve, as much as kawasaki preached about the new material the cylinder sleeves are made of and supposed to be ultra durable and reliable. But man it was definitely oil burn, theres no mistakin that smell when you have smelled it alot before heh. It has only done it after being ran very hard, as a matter of fact i was going down hill behind her, and it was the first time since i have had it that i hit the rev limiter on it. Any other thoughts would be great thanks fellas. -Joe
*Oh I also wanted to mention I've used Castrol 10w-40 in it since it was new.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe just an idea here i've had this happen before on quads bikes and autos as well , i used some Seafoam in the fuel and after burning a tank of fuel they would stop this smoking ; the combustion chamber was buildingup carbon deposits from driving them easy and then running them hard causing the rings to stick when the engine would get up to normal temps !

Sea Foam is a very good fuel additive that will keep the fuel system clean , and also cleans the combustion chamber of carbon deposits that can cause the rings to stick ; and carbon deposits building up around the valves !

You can get the Sea Foam from most walmarts and auto parts stores , walmart has it for $5.66 in my local and the auto parts stores for $6.99 + tax ; well worth the cost for all it does for the engines 2 and 4 stroke Gas and Deisel complete instructions are on the can !.....

Old 07-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the double post !....

Old 07-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Range Rover

Hmm I will definitely give it a shot. Thats a good idea really because me and my woman putter around a good bit on it, several times ive gotten the heat indicator to flash on the instrument panel, pick up speed and drive about 25-30 for a few mins and it cooled back down right away lol. Brutes just dont like puttin around i guess. Thanks for the tip. As you can imagine its a little unsettling when you pay that much for a machine. I still owe about $3.4k on it. Put a grand on it two weeks ago and just got back from bank doin it again, but that still makes me sick to stomach. take care -joe

Old 07-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Range Rover

Fastfatboy, Hyashi, Cstateusa, any of you guys not get on here anymore? Was hopin to find out some more technical answers or if anyone else has experienced this, if I'm alone on it that sucks considering the time and effort i put in to maintenance, if it is already ring failure, grooved cylinder or something. I pray it is deposit buildup from puttin around then bein ran hard. -joe

Old 07-11-2008, 12:58 PM
EXT
Trailblazer

Hmm what others are sayig seems possible.
If it continues after you put some additive in the gas my bet would be valve seals going bad.
It shouldn't be this with so low miles on it though.
I am at 8000 km and no oil smoke at all on my 2002 650.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply EXT, I'll probably try some seafoam, as me and my girlfriend do ride slow alot puttin around about 10-20mph then fast lol. I rode it today, after letting it idle and get hot, and its not smokin whatsoever, so hell i dont know. As you know though its unsettling to see no matter whats up. My buddies 750 did it too though, when it was still fairly new, not all the time but, just at random times after being run WOT to top speed and held there for a bit. Thanks for the replies. -Joe

*I also wanted to ask, what brands of oil do most run in the Kawi V-twins. I have ran Castrol 10w-40 in mine since it was brand new. Thinkn about switch to Mobil-1 10w-40. later

Quick Reply: Light Smoking after WOT runs