Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KVF650 Problem - Belt ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KVF650 Problem - Belt ?

My 2006 KVF650 gave me its first problem on Satuarday. I use it quite a bit for trailer work and when I was pulling the trailer up a hill I experienced a big problem.

My tech knowledge is limited on ATV's but what I can tell you is the red belt light on the dash panel is flashing and I also notice the lcd indicator for 2wd/4wd is flash constantly between 2wd and 4wd as if you were flicking the switch back and forth.

If you have the gear lever in Neutral and try to put it into L or H, the quad trys to take off but stalls. The only way drive it or put it in gear without moving is to apply the break before changing. I have it now in my workshop were it will not be leaving till it is fixed.

Is this a sign the belt needs adjusted and is it a big job to do. Any help would be great as I rely on using it everyday.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Your belt needs either adjustement or replacement. Remove the belt housing cover and check the condition of the belt. For what you've been using - pulling a trailer uphill, I would say the belt is shot. After the belt issue is taken care of. The belt light needs to be reset. Also, there are 3 modes of 2/4WD light flashing and you need to figure it out which mode it is by counting the flashing cycle interval. Which gear range were you using, H or L, when the red belt light came on?

Old 09-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

A friend of mine called by a few hours ago and had a look at it even though he knows more about cars and nothing about atv etc. Anyhow, he noticed something strange with a solenoid type thing, stuck or out of place whatever and tweaked at that. Whatever the hell it does, the bike is going again. The 2/4wd light is no longer flashing and the belt light is also not flashing again, not sure why that is but I think I will double check the belt as it could be on its way out and the light flashing during the hill climb is the first signs.

I would love to know exactly what this solenoid or whatever does, but I know it put my quad out of action.

Cheers for the help anyhow.