Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

new Lakota KEF 300 fan

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Lakota KEF 300 fan

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jeffeosso

"Best"?/

I think the best first step will be the KN+Stage1 kit, an a 13T or 14T front gear, which will change things up alot in terms of trail riding. First gear is so low that it really needs a 13T, at least. .. you can do these three for about $120 bucks.. cheap cheap, biggest improvement for price and labor

If I was to do it again, I wouldn't do the pipe and muffler unless I had at least cammed it. Minimal gains for price. I bought my off evil bay for $130, which was too much for what I got in terms of gains, as stock. But, since I am building it up, its worthwhile. If you spent $300 bucks for an exhaust, and didn't make any real gains in top end, though perhaps made some gains in low end, it might be frustating.

Cam/Head work - I think this is the where the most power is going to come from. CWR has a good cam, and Greg assures me that as a trail rider, the milder cam is what I want. Its about $400 bucks+gaskets, and WILL have performance gains, which you tune the carb with the KN+jets above.

Bigbore kit .. what am I thinking? Well, Blue needed cylinder work anyway... burns a pretty good amount of oil, so, "why not"... well, that's 370 bucks more than just doing a .020 over, or even a .040 over with higher compression pistion .. but, I thought, that why bother, if its just a couple bucks more, and I have it torn down already...

If i could selectively build it all again, on a good running bike

1: KN+stage1+13T or 14T front gear

2: cam

3: exhaust

4: tires - i went with 25s,... 24s on 12" rims would have been better, rear dirttrax are GREAT at 22"

9: big bore kit

10: new CDI</end quote></div>

i have some exstra sprokets from my motorcycle's but idk if they would work they used a 520ek chain, and i found a exhaust made by dg on ebay for around $150 i beleave... but i really wanna do the exhaust and new front sprocket and carb kit and whats the new cdi do? changer rpm and rev limter?

Old 11-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Range Rover

if it was mine, i would do sprocket, kn+stage 1, and see what I thought of it at that point.. i just put a big can on Jana's bike.. sure, it more peppy under 3rd, but NOT, i repeat NOT worth 150 bucks .. get a take off muffler from the local ATV shop, and put it on, with a spark arrestor...

no, really, i went from a 3"diameter stock can to a 5" can... and the stock pipe.. it was $40 bucks used, and I welded it up myself.. it was on my bike, it's on jana's now... about the same difference as my IDS2+8 disks

In other words, I don't think a high dollar exhaust gets you enough to offset the cost unless you REALLY get radical

the CDI can add lots of advance and higher rev's.. or no rev limit... like a wild 2stroke

Old 11-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

if it was mine, i would do sprocket, kn+stage 1, and see what I thought of it at that point.. i just put a big can on Jana's bike.. sure, it more peppy under 3rd, but NOT, i repeat NOT worth 150 bucks .. get a take off muffler from the local ATV shop, and put it on, with a spark arrestor...

no, really, i went from a 3"diameter stock can to a 5" can... and the stock pipe.. it was $40 bucks used, and I welded it up myself.. it was on my bike, it's on jana's now... about the same difference as my IDS2+8 disks

In other words, I don't think a high dollar exhaust gets you enough to offset the cost unless you REALLY get radical

the CDI can add lots of advance and higher rev's.. or no rev limit... like a wild 2stroke</end quote></div>

what is a take off muffler? and do the sell them cdi box's and kn jet kits at that place ur getting all ur motor work from?

Old 11-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Range Rover

take-off muffler .. when the shops take off a factory muffler to put on an aftermarket, it is called a "take-off" .. so find one from a 500 or 600 (or bigger) and make an adaptor .. if you weld, its pretty easy, if not, you'l pay a little money..

cycleworksracing.net sells the CDI and motorwork.. and sprockets... i don't know if they sell dynohets and KN... the needle is probably 80% of the improvement from a kit... since I am going with a bigger motor, the stock jet is a 140, and I don't see going to a 134,136, or 138 as being a huge improvement.

Yesterday I found out that a local company has a dynometer, so I am scheduling a couple "runs" on it.. one will be as is, next will be with the bigbore and then with tuning/jets ... no GUESSING at that point, right?

Old 11-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Range Rover

i put in all 13 disks today... louder, but now 3rd has as much torque, seat of the pants, as 2nd.. louder, but mebbe worth it

Old 11-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

i put in all 13 disks today... louder, but now 3rd has as much torque, seat of the pants, as 2nd.. louder, but mebbe worth it</end quote></div>

13 disk? is that like something to do with the exhaust or carb im new to this? and as for the sprokets u want more teeth or less...? on my motorcycle im up down 2 up 3 in the rear for quarter mile....

Old 11-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Range Rover

the IDS muffler system usess rear spacer disks to reduce restriction, so I had put in 8 disks... i had up to 13... i then put all 13 in, and its got a bit more torque on the bottom end

i am waiting for my 14tooth front sprocket... this thing ought to be a monster, when run right, with my 340cc kit, i am hoping and will probably dyno my results, the ultimate lakota trail bike.. it should be good results..
i just love em

Old 11-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Range Rover

We took Red and Blue out to www.generalsams.com and had a BALL ..
Red is getting an filter and jetting next week ...

the tall taires on Blue made it a HOOT..

Was my wife's first time at an ATV park, and she did GREAT, ya'll

Old 11-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Range Rover

today we put a UNI air filter on Red - works just as good as a KN, at 1/3 the cost.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Range Rover

i just picked up my third one .. its basicaly a NEW 300 sport, with very few hours.. seriously, i put more wear and tear in a month than this thing has.. factory tires, probably 80% from the new ones

its so bone stock that it has factory tires that are totally useful.. it was like going back years and getting a factory demo bike.

Quick Reply: new Lakota KEF 300 fan