Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

new Lakota KEF 300 fan

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Lakota KEF 300 fan

Howdy --
Just getting started on the lakotas -- I bought a used one, on a lark, to play around with. My neighborhood has 400 acres of "park" (flooding bottoms) off the San Jacinto river, and I had been using that to ride a mountain bike in.

Oh, yeah, if anyone has a set of racks, "toolbox" cover (blue preferred) and toolbox straps, I would like to talk to you about buying them. I like the racks, as I use them somewhat for around the yard and for carrying a cooler.

Anyway, got lakota #1 - 1999 red, and fell in love with it. I have/had been riding my buddies bikes, and found that for me the lakota was just about right. I am 80% trail riding, 10% hutning, 10% yard work. Heck, after hurricane Ike, no buddy complains or laughs at my "little" bike anymore.

So, my wife decided that was hers (her artic cat 300 broke, and she thought it was too heavy -- after I replace the trans, that my hunting only bike - already have the parts, just not the time) and I found another couple, and settled on one. It needs rings, but rides okay for now.

Its a blast to take my wife on the trails, and to take my lakota down to ATV parks, where it gets sSpam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word ered at... right up to the moment that I drive AROUND guys on stuck blasters and climb up hills that they think are cliffs. I am NOT the world greatest rider... more like in the bottom 30% of the riders.. I just do it for fun...

So, my lakota will need a top end rebuild in the not too distant future. Hey, cool.. i'll look at doing a 335 build on it when the time comes.
Since I spend most of my time on trails, I'll probably cam it, 13T it, and ride it!

anyway, just saying, I really like the lakotas, and at the price point, they are a ball to ride.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Had one a couple years back. Was alot of fun, except for the mud and rocks here in New England. Nice and lightweight to throw around. I had racks and they did come in handy. Try a search on eBay. I got a couple things off there. Alot of times the dealers still carry parts. I lost a couple of the straps for the little toolbox by the rack and they had them. So, parts should still be available.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a rear rack I will sell you.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Range Rover

blue is my 2001 sport, and red is my wife's 1999

Blue got new clutches and HD clutch springs, with an oversized, VERY QUIET muffler ...
Red just needed the chain tightened...

changed the oil and filters in both of em

red is getting a 13 tooth front drive gear to make first gear wirth trying to use.

then jana and i went riding all over the "back parks" here, and had a ball...

then a neighbor stopped by on a wolverine 450 special ed... and i let him ride blue.. and he was VERY impressed...

we then washed and oiled them, chained em up, and put em up
jeffe

Old 11-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kawasakilakotarider

I have a rear rack I will sell you.</end quote></div>

Howdy
i sent you a PM awhile ago... hit me up at
jeffeosso [at] weaponsmith [dot] com

Old 11-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Range Rover

totally bone stock "RED" lokota, 50 deg, and PROBALY a little cold (sat and idled for 10 mins, 2 passes, GPS reading)
(before 13T, and potentially an exhaust system today)
1st 12-13mph
2nd 26mph
3rd 37-38 mph
4th 46-47 mph
5th 51-52mph...

I am certain it would probably go 1-2 more if was 80deg, but its not, and I am going to be working on bikes today.

So, i'll say it goes 51.6MPH top speed, flat out, at 50deg, otherwise TOTALLY stock at this moment

I wonder if it will hit nearly 55 with the 13t gear?

How about after I put an IDS2 on it?

We'll see how this weekend goes

Old 11-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Range Rover

still about 53 deg....
1st 18-19
2nd 30-31mph
3rd 42 mph
4th 49 mph
5th 51-52mph... stayed the same.. compression loss
was running it pretty hard, and had some oil blow out the edges of the top head gasket... I would have expected, if I didn't start leaking, about 55, so that's what i'll call it.

Not much, so the wife can ride it.. she is TICKLED...

This is a GREAT change, and takes only about 10 minutes longer than tightening the chain.

First is now useful and reverse doesn't just dig into the ground...

So, if you are wondering if you should tooth your bike, all i can say it get on it!

Old 11-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Range Rover

Blue is getting new skins when the big bore kit is installed!!

What do you think? Rides totally different, just motors right out of deep muddy sand pits

Blue (my bike) got a set of 25x8x12 and 25x10x12 dunlops on "chrome" steel rims... only difficulty was that I had to reverse the rear rims, JUST LIKE STOCK, as the lakota's are designed for the "offset" on the rear to be "onset" .. that is, stepped OUT, not in... That means my rear rim now have the valve stems IN, not out.. if that causes trouble, I'll TIG them up and redrill them on the OUT side... heck, I might just do that when I have to tear it down at the end of the month to send it off for cam, head, and bore work at cycleworksracing.net

These are the absolute LARGEST you can put on a stock lakota, and have clearence in at the heel gaurds.

went from (speeds with stock)
1st 14mph
2nd 27mph
3rd 38 mph
4th 46 mph
5th 50mph...

to, post tires
1st 19mph
2nd 30mph
3rd 41 mph
4th 50 mph
5th 54mph...

Stock

25 inchers -- No, they don't hit anything!!!

Old 11-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

looks good but what is the effect of them on the cv's diff's etc? asking coz when we run oversize on landrovers we break stock cv's and diffs for fun!

Old 11-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Range Rover

no cz, no diff. -- whew! 2 wheel with rigid axle

it does have a chain drive on a very tough tranny, though ..

Quick Reply: new Lakota KEF 300 fan