Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

What ATV will put a stupid grin on my face everytime i walk thru the garge???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 02:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellow quaders-i knew that it was going to happen one day. Today i decided i need a new ride. I have been riding a modded Lakota for 3 years now.I want a new high performance quad.Looks like the only choices are a DS650, Raptor,400EX.I can't seem to get unbiased feedback from the other forums!A 2-stroke 'shee is out.I am not into racing or jumping. I like acceleration. The reason i am asking the Kawaski riders is because these 3 machines do not complete with Kawaski's. I own 2 Kawi's.I chose these because of price,features,fit and finish and durability over the long run. They have not dissapointed me. If Kaw. made a 400 or larger sport i would not be in this delima! Give me your input in this matter please.

Old 02-07-2001, 03:11 AM
Trailblazer

If your not going to race and you want acceleration I think you would like the Raptor. I looked at the DS650 the only thing that I didnt like was that it didnt have reverse and it was a little wider which is not alway a bad thing. Reason I say that is because I have been thinking about widening my Raptor. The 400ex is a good handling quad I heard but it also doesn't have reverse. I have looked at the graphs and the raptor with the carbon fiber pipe from GYT-R increses the torque all the way through the power band. Before you buy anything really look at the raptor. I hope this helps.

2fast

Old 02-07-2001, 03:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider

the raptor is what i am leaning toward. I am concered about the dual carbs, seems to be a problem? I have read the post in the bomb post about all sorts of nitpicking problems. And the 400ex has no reverse. If someone would build the perfet quad i guess life would be to easy. Where i live the chanses of riding these quads at the dealer is nil. I can test drive a scrambler 500 though. A heavy quad might not be a bad deal. I don't know enough about Polaris quads. I read alot about colored springs etc. Don't want to rev a quad to 3000 rpm's to get it to move. Thanks for your reply 2fast.

Old 02-07-2001, 02:48 PM
Trailblazer

All those problems you hear are out of how many raptors? I bet the 400ex's have problems too. They just don't talk about them, it seems that way to me. The new one I hear is clutch fade? Maybe I just dont ride as hard as some people. Overall I like the raptor, now would I want or have a honda,,,,SURE! But when Ibought the my ATV I like the Raptor the best.

2fast

Old 02-07-2001, 10:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Throw the Polaris 500 scrambler into the mix. I went by the polaris dealer today. He had a new 500 2x4 for 5100.00 dollars out the door. He even told me i could ride it. I would have ridden it today but i am going to wait about 2 more weeks before i buy. After i look at all the machines in person then i will head to the test ride of the dealers that will let me. Weight seems to be the drawback to the sc500. My lakota is heavy.

Old 02-08-2001, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Tecate 4's put that stupid grin on my face..But, you said you don't want a 2 stroke.

Old 02-08-2001, 11:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I agree about the t-4,but i only want to grin,not grin and slobber. I have only seen 1 t-4 a few years back. He was cruising down a farm to market road in excess of 75 mph,2 minutes later the sherrif went by at 80mph. Don't think the law ever found him. I would consider one if i could find one.

Old 02-09-2001, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

If you want a 4x4 the new v-twin 650.

Old 02-09-2001, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Old 02-10-2001, 01:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider

2000mojave i suppose that i can wait- atleast another week or two. I looked a a raptor friday-nice nice nice. That is probably my first choice.It is a shame that i can't ride at its potential though. If i was 20 years younger....The polaris dealer will let me ride the sc500,machine looks nice,has features that i do like.But i do not really want a heavy machine.The new machine i plan on keeping 5 to 7 years. I had planned on keeping the Lakota for longer. I have no idea what it is worth. It is clean,i kept the exhaust,racks(no scratches)still on the original tires and brakes. Very few scrathes on the body. Rear tires don't have much life left. I like the machine just don't want to do anymore moddes(piston and porting) Anybody know the value of a clean 99 Lakota?Thanks.

Quick Reply: What ATV will put a stupid grin on my face everytime i walk thru the garge???