Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

05 brute force actuator problems. HELP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 brute force actuator problems. HELP PLEASE!!!

i've got a 2005 brute force 650 sra model. i'm having a problem with the electronic engine brake actuator located on the cvt cover. if i'm riding pretty rapid the 4wd/2wd light will start to flash back and forth, but the 4wd will still engage just doesn't light up on the readout, i've found that if i shut the 4wheeler off and listen for the actuator to reset then take back off its fine sometimes for a few mins then sometimes i won't have any problems for the rest of the day, i've checked all the connections and they seem to be fine. any help would be greatly appreciated. i'm thinking maybe the actuator is just bad, but would like some input from others on it, b4 i go and spend the money for a new one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
thanks in advance.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

According to your description, it may not be the engine brake actuator problem but rather the Controller (brain box for actuators) issue. Remove the 10-amp red fuse, twist the blade and reinsert back into the fuse slot with the engine TURNED OFF. Then statr riding and see what happens. What we are trying to here is to make sure good 12V power is supplied to the Controller. Let me know the result.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the info, never thought of that but it sounds like that could be a good possibility i'll try it as soon as i get home to see if it makes a difference and let u know. another thing is i've noticed when the actuator isn't acting up the only time i notice that its working is in low range is that normal.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Are you still referring to engine brake actuator?
Whichever it might, they should be working properly in any gear position. But they are programmed to work only in certain speed range and they act differently depending on vehicle speed. Maybe that's what you are noticing. As long as 2/4WD is not flashing, it's OK to assume they are working properly.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

yea i was talking bout the engine brake actuator, when the 2wd/4wd light isn't flashing i guess it's working as it should i probly just notice it holding back more in low range than in high, which is probly how it should be.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

got a chance to check the fuse connection, found some dirt caked in the contacts, cleaned all of it out and made sure the fuse was making good contact, thought that it had fixed it but i'm still having the same issue 2wd/4wd will start to flash and engine brake quits working ,when riding rapidly and also stop and go riding, can shut it off and listen for the engine brake actuator to reset and take back off and it'll work for a lil while like it's soposed to without the light flashing then it'll start to flash again and engine brake quits, any other ideas on what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: log_dogg2007

made sure the fuse was making good contact,

engine brake quits working ,when riding rapidly and also stop and go riding, can shut it off </end quote></div>

What did you do to make sure the fuse contact was good?

When actuator quits working, is the 2/4WD flashing on the meter? If so, what's the flashing time (in sec.) interval between 2WD - 4WD - 2WD (full cycle)?

Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

took a air hose and cleaned all of the dirt out of it, then bent the tab on the fuse so as to make sure it had good contact, and yes the 2wd/4wd starts to flash when it quites working in about 1 second intervals

Old 01-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

If the 2/4WD flashing FULL CYCLE interval is 1 second, it means the 2/4WD actuator is bad, not the EBC. Check your manual page 17-75. Perform diagnosis on the 2/4WD actuator and its connection.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

would the the 2/4wd actuator cause the engine break actuator not to work? cause i can still lock in and out of 4/wd with no problems.

Quick Reply: 05 brute force actuator problems. HELP PLEASE!!!