Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Strange sound from 750 Brute when turned off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange sound from 750 Brute when turned off.

Just bought a 2005 750 Brute Force. I noticed the second time I took it out it started making a noise like something was trying to engage when it was turned off and the key was removed. I wasn't sure if it was going to run the battery down. Each time the sound last for different amount of times when turned off. Also the light jumps back and forth from 4wd and 2wd while the machine is running. Would this be causing the noise when the fourwheeler is turned off? I was told by the seller that the flashing back and forth has been happening for a couple of months. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That noise you hear is probably the KAPS system, I'm no expert, but I believe it is a small electric motor that has something to do with automatically taking up belt deflection, I have sat on several Kawasakis, played with the key, and heard the same noise from the belt housing every time I turned them off.
As far as the flashing, sounds like it may be having problems sensing whether it is in 4 or 2wd, it could be as simple as a linkage adjustment, or need a shop to take a look, I would have it looked at before it becomes something major, maybe thats why the former owner sold it, he found out it was an expensive fix !!! hope not, good luck and keep us informed on what you find out.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Range Rover

there is a ton of info on here about the flashing light, also the reset for it. you can reset it yourself or take it in for service.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

It is somethign with the belt liek 95wolv said. We have 3 of them and they all do that. Im not 100% sure what it is but it is no big deal.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I also have the 2wd to 4wd light switching back and forth on me and have had for quite some time. You say you can reset this? I know you can reset the belt light when it comes on and goes into limp mode.

Can you point me to a link that will stop my 2wd 4wd light from switching back and forth.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have found that in dusty conditions, the 2wd/4wd light flashes on our 2008BF 650s. Usually the engine brake quits working. The simple fix is to pull the fuse that is located under the seat. Use an air gun to blow the dust out of this area. Re-install the fuse and everything will work again. I don't remember which fuse but there are not that many in the fuse box. This quick fix has worked many times for me. No more blinking light. The noise you referred to when you turn it off is normal. 4000 miles and just changed the belt for the first time.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:04 AM
Trailblazer

I believe the fuse that you are talking about is labeled "EBC".

Old 03-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

The noise is normal its the belt tensioner in the CVT housing, The 4wd light flashing could be a couple of things if its flashing at .5sec intervals the problem is the 2wd/4wd selectable actuator if it flashes at 1sec intervals then its engine brake actuator and if it flashes at 2sec intervals then it is both the engine brake and 2wd/4wd actuators. hope that helps

Old 03-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey thanks GWNBrute mine flashes at .5 sec intervals. Can you tell me what I need to do to fix this myself.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

the actuator is located just where the front drive shaft enters the front diff, you could need a new actuator or the switch itself. check the plug for the actuator and make sure there is no dirt or corrosion, then pull the actuator off and make sure it is functioning, if not then I think you no the next step

Quick Reply: Strange sound from 750 Brute when turned off.