Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

no 4x4, no speedo, odd voltage

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no 4x4, no speedo, odd voltage

last ride got stuck in the mud and had to back out and when backing out a stick broke the speed sensor, so 4x4 was out plus speedo. got a new speed sensor and now 4x4 doesn't work or the speedo. so i got out the manual and started checking things.

i have checked the sensor as per the manual and it checks out. but don't have the 5volts then zero at the controller plug(between pins 5 and 10) it only gets a little over 2 volts.

after some reading i unpluged the controller and took it for a spin and low and behold the speedo works like it should(which implies the sensor is good or does it?).

so then i started checking voltages into the sensor and out of the sensor. got 13 volts through the orange(called br in manual) and black wires(ground) and 2 volts between the pink and ground. also when you test pins 5 and 10 on the controller plug by spinning the wheels the voltage goes up to 2 volts and then to zero not the 5 it should.

so i traced the pink wire to all its connections and unplugged the controller ,cdi plug with the pink wire, and the sensor. and now i have 2 volts on the pink wire coming out of the dash pod. is this 2 volts suppossed to be there or is it supposed to be 0 or 5volts. did the dash pod get fried when the sensor was broke(note everything else on the dash seems to work).

is the speed sensor just an on and off switch or does it supply voltage through the pink along with the constant 2 volts? what supplys the pink wire with voltage? could a voltage spike caused by broke sensor fried anything else that has messed up the voltage?

any thoughts on what could be the problem? could the brand new sensor be bad or the controller or the dash?
all help and suggestions would be appreciated.
oh yeah this is a 2004 700 prairie.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the forums! how did the 4x4 stop working?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

broke the speed sensor first, changed it with a new one and now 4x4 or speedo won't work and only get 2 volts on the pink wire instead of 5.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

still haven't solved this problem, was reading through the manual looking at the wiring and tests and noticed that the actuator controller tests testing the speed senosor stated to test the output votage to the sensor with the sensor unplugged. so does the actuator controller supply the 5volts?? any ideas or suggestions? this may be my problem. could the speed sensor circuit have fried (shorted out) and not effected anything else??