Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Question about Bayou 220

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Bayou 220

I just bought a 95 Bayou 220. It's bored out .40 over. runs great, no problems except the starter wont turn it over. It sounds like it has a dead battery (it doesn't) it tries to turn, like maybe a half turn or so and stops. When you use the rope starter you can feel it has quite a bit of compression, but it fires right up. The guy told me the starter worked before he had the top end done and bored out.
So, I'm wondering if now that its bored out, is there more compression and therefore its harder for the starter to turn it. Everything works great on this thing and it's bothering me that this isn't. Any Ideas????

Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

When you try to electric start the engine, does it always act up like you described or just once in a while?

When it is acting up, does the motor always turn about 1/2 and stop?

The fix depends on your answers.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like battery issue.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Possibly but the OP wrote...

Originally Posted by Howmon
It sounds like it has a dead battery (it doesn't)

Old 04-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jump it off and if it turns completely it is the wrong battery for the bike not enough amps. Just fixed that in one..

Old 04-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I was thinking that too, about the battery being too small. It does charge and seems to hold a charge, but I never tried to jump it right off the charger. I have a big battery in my Polaris, I could try that too. Maybe I can get time after work to go out and play with it.
I know just because the guy I bought it from said it worked before the rebuild, doesn't mean it really did. I just never had a cylinder bored out before and wasn't sure if that could cause a issue with more compression. I'll get out and try to jump it and get back to you guys. Thanks

Old 04-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

My son's Avalanche will do what you mentioned if it is very cold and goes a month between long rides. (and not on the battery tender) However, after a long Saturday ride it will fire right up in a flash. Did today.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

solenoid could be bad try taking a screw driver and touch positve 2 negative on the solenoid with the key on if it fires up bad solenoid simple

Old 06-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default ok ok

Now I took the Battery out of my Polaris, I know that one is fine and big enough. When I hit the starter, there is a click coming from something next to the battery. There are 2 round things there that I honestly don't know what they are. The starter turns just a bit and stops. If I hold the stater button down, The smaller of the 2 wires that go to the negative side of the battery gets hot and smokes. Could this be a bad ground somewhere? Any other ideas?

Old 06-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the fuse...

Quick Reply: Question about Bayou 220