Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Help with an 01 lakota 300

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with an 01 lakota 300

Hi, I haven't been here in a while. I need some help . I was lucky ( I think ) to find this quad
for 300 dollars, a project for my son and me, I got it home to find a bit more wrong than was described , it does have spark and I did get it to start (sputter)

I am not at all familiar with this quad , it looks like there is a clutch lever but no cable, however the little info I have found leads me to believe it is semi-auto.

The wiring looks tampered with and no battery , I tried to jump the starter direct with no luck, is there a way to check the starter without removing it. ( i.e. safety switch, key, brake engaged etc..)

Thank you , Kevin

Old 08-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

This bike does have an auto clutch. The lever on the left handlebar is actually to operate the rear brake.

To check the starter, the easiest way is to just hook a 12V jump-start pack directly to the starter terminal and make sure the negative side has a good ground somewhere on the motor. If the starter does not spin, it is definetly bad.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info hillbilly_racer , the starter works out of the bike but not in.??
Any ideas?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

Kind of strange! Make sure the ground is good on the bike. Also, check the positive post on the starter. Sometimes these will twist and cause problems inside the starter.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 01 Lakota service manual

O.K. here is an update on the lakota.. I wish I had taken a before picture.
The plastics and seat are trashed, the front sprocket is useless, the air filter element needs to be replaced, the battery box and the entire rear brake assembly are missing but I had spark and after cleaning the carburetor and using a known clean gas tank I was able to get her running. That being said, I have stripped the entire bike down to the bare frame and it is off to the sand blaster and then a fresh coat of paint.

I have been shopping around for the best prices on various parts but before I can begin any reassembly I am in dire need of a service manual or I will never remember where all of these parts go or what else may be missing. Kawasaki.com has one for 59.00 . Seems a bit steep,
is there another option out there and if so where?

Old 10-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Lakota Carburetor problems?? PLEASE HELP

I posted earlier about a 01 Lakota I acquired that was in really bad shape. I am having trouble keeping it running. I cleaned the fuel tank and carb and was able to get it to idle which it did for several minutes but as soon as I tried to give it some gas it stalled, now it will try to start but only sputters and backfires. Carb, timing or valve problems???