Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

02 Kawasaki Prairie 650 - Belt Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Kawasaki Prairie 650 - Belt Questions

All,

I have an 02 Kawasaki prairie 650. I took the belt cover off and the old belt was under normal tension when I removed the cover. I replaced the belt, accidentally turned the key on without the cover in place and the KEBC started running out. Put that back in the original positioning and put everything back together. Seems to run fine but on hills it will just lose power sporadically (happened twice within about 50 miles of riding - have to shut it off and let it sit for a long time, feels like the belt is just spinning). Took the cover off again and the new belt is not under tension. It's just loose and flopping around on the pulleys. The forward pulley that moves in and out with centrifugal force I assume is all the way out (towards the foot peg). When all put together, it runs fine as soon as you give it gas, I am assuming the pulley syncs up and compresses the belt but but at idle it sounds like the belt is flopping around in there. I would think it should be under tension again when I take off the cover. Is that right?? What could i have done to cause this and how can i fix it? Is it something to do with the KEBC? I am 95% sure i have it back to original positioning, it sounds the same as before and according to the manual it should be in the right position. Any ideas/suggestions??

Old 08-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

There is a reset procedure for the KEBC. The manual should walk you through it. I would try this first.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

i also have an 02 with the same problem. i was told threw several people that once you remove a belt you have to reset your primary clutch and reset your tension. i am taking mine to the dealer this weekend, once i get it back i will let you know how it worked.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ATVFAN2008
the old belt was under normal tension
How scientifically did you check the tension? You need to apply 13 lbs of force and the deflection has be within 22-27 mm range.

feels like the belt is just spinning
Probably your feelin was right, blelt slipping.

I would think it should be under tension again when I take off the cover. Is that right??
No, the belt can't in tension because the converter is not rotating and there is no centrifugal force to squeeze and grab the belt. That is normal.

What could i have done to cause this and how can i fix it? Is it something to do with the KEBC?
No, I don't think you've done anything to cause the problem. But possibly you didn't do something and this problem happened - the proper belt deflection measurement as I described above. KEBC has nothing to do with this.