Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

shifter problems plz help

Old 08-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter problems plz help

hi y'all i have a 2000 Kawasaki Prairie 400 automatic and it won't shift into high gear but i will shift into lo reverse just fine i have never owned one before and i don't know what to do and i need to get back out on the trails thanks

Old 08-17-2015, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2000 as well. Have u owned since new? Not sure why u dont have drive. Does the shifter pointer line up with the r/n/d/l settings?

I was having trouble shifting in freezing/snowy conditions. I removed, disassembled, cleaned and greased the internal workings and it works better than ever and real easy to do. I also disabled the pushbutton so no need to use that now.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSummit
I have a 2000 as well. Have u owned since new? Not sure why u dont have drive. Does the shifter pointer line up with the r/n/d/l settings?

I was having trouble shifting in freezing/snowy conditions. I removed, disassembled, cleaned and greased the internal workings and it works better than ever and real easy to do. I also disabled the pushbutton so no need to use that now.
i just recently bought the bike and it had this grinding type problem when i would shift but it only got worse the reverse and low line up but the high doesn't i don't have push button i think that the **** underneath the shifter is wore down

Attached Thumbnails shifter problems plz help-img_3580.jpg  
Old 08-18-2015, 06:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think on a lot of these older automatic quads the shift linkage gets loose and needs adjusted. It just gets too much play in it and it gets sloppy when shifting. My Grizzly needed some adjustment when I first got it, I had a hard time shifting it into low range. On the Grizzly 660 models, the shifter was a bit erratic even when they were new. It was one of the flaws of the machine. It wasn't a great design and Yamaha improved greatly on it when the 700 replaced it with a more precise gated shifter that worked a lot better.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2000 full time 4x4 shifter handle has a rubber covered push ****/button which I need to depress before shifting into Reverse or Low. This button is operated by the right thumb while your hand is on the lever. I disabled that button when I had it apart and it is much easier to operate but I recognize the fact that if the lever got hit while I was moving it probably wouldn't be a good thing as it might cause some internal damage.

The machine needs to be stopped before attempting to shift into reverse or low.

I am not familiar with any adjustment which can be done other than the connecting arm between the shifter housing and gearcase but on my machine that connector just seems to change the alignment of the pointer thingy on the shift lever so that it properly aligns with the R-N-H-L markings. There might be another place to adjust without tearing into it but I am not aware of it.

I bought my machine new and was told, I think by the dealer, to never force it into gear as it could bend the shift forks or something that was made out of aluminum.

I do know that taking that shift lever housing apart to clean and grease it made a huge difference in ease of shifting.