Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2000 220 Bayou

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 220 Bayou

Hey guys,

Over the weekend I came across an amazing 220. It was the same story - just driven around the yard, etc. etc that we always hear - but there wasn't a scratch anywhere under this machine. Every sticker in place - looked perfect in every way, so it followed me home. Looks like I am also a Kawasaki guy now.

I'm getting the manuals and stuff ordered but in the meantime, can you shoot me any info on this quad? Anything on set-up's, problems, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Viking

Old 03-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Viking1
Hey guys,

Over the weekend I came across an amazing 220. It was the same story - just driven around the yard, etc. etc that we always hear - but there wasn't a scratch anywhere under this machine. Every sticker in place - looked perfect in every way, so it followed me home. Looks like I am also a Kawasaki guy now.

I'm getting the manuals and stuff ordered but in the meantime, can you shoot me any info on this quad? Anything on set-up's, problems, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Viking
i hope everyone reads this post. there are still diamonds in the rough out there. just takes patience, and it'll fall in your lap. i'm happy for ya . awesome! enjoy it. hope it produces several hours of fun for you.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also bought at 2000 Bayou 220 about 3 months ago. Mine too is in great shape, I couldn't believe I was able to get a machine in such good shape.

Its great to know that there are people out there that take care of their toys.

Enjoy your quad.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 98 that i ride at work at a ski area that I work at. You can see pictures of it on my profile. I run the hell out of it for the last 3 years and just change the oil a few times a year. It works great in the snow people can't believe how well i get around on it. I built a big tool box on the back of it and carry 50 pounds of gear on it at all times. I love my little Kawasaki 220! Good luck! Jeff

Old 03-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Viking1
No one is really responding to what OP wants to know.

1. As you know it's got semi auto centrifugal clutch 5-speed. Do not use high gears when going slow. Do not use high gears when there is more than usual load. The quad may pull and you would not notice. However, the engine oil (that lubricates both engine and clutch) will get extremely HOT (and molecules break down) and you can have a massive engine/clutch failure.

2. Again, remember this is an air cooled engine. Don't get the engine too hot. There is no coolant that will steam out and warn you when it gets hot. Keep the engine oil

3. The centrifugal clutch has adjustment to me made as it wears out. One day if your clutch is slipping, you know why.

4. Don't go in water that is deeper than axle if not need to. Water can easily get into the drum brake housing and then won't come out. It stays there and corrodes everything it can.

5. Follow the black wire that goes from starter solenoid to the engine frame (left side as you are sitting on the quad). Corrosion can happen between the wire connector and the frame (ground), causing poor connection. One day, if the engine does not crank when you try to start. You know why.

6. Oil can leak from the gasket between the front bevel gear case and the engine casing. Make sure the mounting bolts are tight to the spec.

7. Do not use automotive oil. It has anti-friction agent which too slippery for the clutch which "can" slip in high load situation. Use MA (motorcycle approved) engine oil just like what the manual says.

See the manual for more detai and how to.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer

Hayashi,

Your response above is hopefully going to pay off. I went to get the quads fired up after a long winter and sure enough point #5 reared it's ugly head. Plan to work on it tomorrow.

New battery in, green light on, and - nothing. I have paid attention to the other points you made back when I got it and I have to say i love this little quad. No issues at all until now.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Trailblazer
Default And now for the dumbest question of the weekend...

Hello everyone - hope the weekend is treating everyone well.

2000 Bayou. New battery in, green light lit. Won't turn over.

Checked all of connections and cleaned them up. Nothing.

The shop is closed for the weekend of course so I can't buy parts.

I want to ride this weekend and can use the pull start - this worked fine.

Does it matter if I leave my new battery in while I ride, and what position should I put the key in?

After pull starting it the machine will run regardless of what position the key is in, just didn't know if it made a difference. As you can probably tell, I have zero understanding of electrical currents.

Thanks for any help you might have.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!