Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Carb Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jg1559
it comes out, through the upper tube when I turn the carb upside down to take off the float bowl
That's not right. You should take the carb apart, check and reassemble.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer

Fuel coming out of the top tube when the carb is upside is normal as this is the atmospheric vent to let the bowl breath and equalize the preasure.
What i think the poster was sugesting was, is there fuel coming out of the hose from the gas tank after it was disconnected from the carb.

Also when the carb is installed and fuel hose connected to carb from tank,
after you open up the carb bowl drain screw, fuel should steadily flow out of bowl.
It should not be a trickle if you completly remove the screw.

I once did a service call 1/2 hour away for a lawn tractor to find the customers gas tank was empty.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by 450kodiak
I once did a service call 1/2 hour away for a lawn tractor to find the customers gas tank was empty.
It has plenty of gas

Old 04-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Pro Rider

change the oil, its probably got gas in it causing flooding

Old 04-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
change the oil, its probably got gas in it causing flooding
Just changed the oil. No luck starting it. Once this damn wind let's up, ill take the carb apart for about the seventh time.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

Try taking the carb to a buddy that has some experinence taking them apart .
He may see something you missed.
I was recently giving carb advice to a buddy that bought a very nice used motorcycle cheap because previous owner gave up trying to get it to run right after he had to clean old gas from the duel carb set.
Without having the carb in front of me, i sugested several things to look for because he said it idled very rich and could figure it out. I talked to him Thursday and he told me he fixed it. He ended up going to a salvage yard, and bought a used set off a wrecked bike. It required dunking as well, but when he opened the newer set,
he compared the 2 sets of carbs against each other. That is when he noticed that one of his old carbs was missing a pilot (idle) jet that screws up in a recess in carb.
The previous removed it to clean carb and missed putting it back in.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

Ya, I think that's what I'm gonna end up doing. I'm gonna open it up just one more time, clean it up real good and maybe get lucky. The only problem I see is removing the choke cable. Throttle cable looks easy but I couldn't figure out how to remove the choke cable.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Trailblazer

Getting ready to remove the carb again. Decided to take the drain screw all the way out. Not a single drop came out. So i'm thinking this is the problem. No fuel getting into the bowl. Anyone agree?

Old 04-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Make sure carb vent tube is venting "out", not clogged or kinked.

When you remove the fuel feel line at the carb, is fuel running out?

Old 04-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Trailblazer

I got the s.o.b. going! Hell yeah! Thanks to EVERYONE who helped me out. Would NOT have done it without all of you.
I took everything apart one more time like I said I would. Cleaned out everything with carb cleaner. There was this, I guess you would call it a spring that goes under the float, it just fell out when I opened up the carb. Don't know if this had anything to do with the original problem but, put it back in place checked everything twice, sealed it up. Fired right up. Took if for a ride though, within 1/4 of a mile it started to backfire a little bit and it just died in the middle of the road. Pushed it to the side. It did not want to start. It was kind of low on fuel so I put it on RESERVE, it started right up. Took it back home, put in a new spark plug and now everything is fine. Thanks again!!

Quick Reply: Carb Help