Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

bayou 300 4x4 engine swap/transform..

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012 | 11:14 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Exclamation bayou 300 4x4 engine swap/transform..

i have an odd issue..

i have 2 bayou's ones a 96 bayou 300 4x4
and the other is a 97 300 2x4

the 97 2x4 was given to me as it's wrecked but the engine still runs like a top but the entire rest of the frame is gone..from rear end to front.

my 96 4x4 recently died tore up the cylinder/piston,wrist pin,crank etc etc.. "long story"

here's my question

now just looking at the engines they look identical besides the output shaft side where the drive shaft mounts up..

is it possible to bolt the 4x4 output portion to the 2x4 engine? and bolt that engine into my 96 bayou?

i did do some checking on part numbers but to be honest I'm not the best at this stuff.. just needing to know if it can be done as i really hate to tear the entire engine apart just to rip the crankshaft and cylinder etc etc out of it to fix the older more worn out engine. get my thinking?

from what i seen the crankcase have the same part numbers but whats weird is the engine covers have a slightly different number which doesn't make sense if the cases are the same.. and just by that thinking the output portion should just bolt up right?

if anyone has further knowledge please lay it on me.. love to hear it. if i missed any info needed please let me know..

and before the question pops up why not just make it into a 2x4 and go with it.. i love the 4x4!

Old 01-08-2012 | 11:58 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

i just noticed that the crankcases do have a slightly different number and they do not seem to interchange..

but the question still remains is it possible to mount the 4x4 output portion to the 2x4 engine? if so what else would need swapped? i have two complete engines to toy with so a hybrid of the 2 is fine with me.. even if i have to swap electrical it's better than having to buy another engine or parts to fix it.

or should i just replace the broken bits in the 4x4 engine with the 97 engines?

the crank,piston,wrist pin,cylinder etc all have the same part numbers and i did double check that they indeed will swap over..
i just hate to rip a good engine completely apart for just a few parts...

any ideas?

Old 01-09-2012 | 08:30 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

after 87 views and not a single reply from anybody I can see this is not the right community for this sort of talk or discussion.. sad really, heard good things about this place.

Old 01-10-2012 | 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own a 97 2 wd bayou. It had a rough life before I got it and finally died Sunday. Is there a chance you would part with that engine?

Old 01-15-2012 | 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Going out on a limb here but------

Phone up your dealer and ask him or speak to his mechanic (s) . It is always a good idea to stop in from time to time and heaven forbid maybe even buy something from him. Keeping a posative relationship with the dealer is important for several reasons. One it keeps him in business and two he should know more about your machine than anybody else. Just my two cents worth. Good luck with the engine exchange.

Old 01-15-2012 | 09:00 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I decided against tearing down a perfectly good engine I had a friend with a nice bayou that had the engine die very early on in it's life and it has been sitting in his garage for years now.. I grabbed it from him for 100 bucks next weekend is the weekend for that engine swap.. I managed to find a good parts bike on craigslist, it was the exact same year and it was also a 4x4 like mine..

this weekend consisted of replacing all the chains,seals gaskets etc etc.. waiting on a top end kit to come in.. and also a new carb from ebay. the seller had good feedback with not a single complaint on his carbs.. so I took a chance.. another 100 bucks on that.. hopefully I should have 2 good machines by next weekend!

after I know everythings good.. it's cosmetic stuff time.. new tires, paint the rims or get some aftermarket, newer headlights and maybe even some new plastics..
might even spring for one of those nifty aftermarket clusters that can display speed,temp, rpm etc etc.. who knows.