Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Utility quad to not be embarressed by sport quads

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't really shopped for quads in 12 years but I've looked at them.

The Polaris Sportsman caught my eye.

My concern about it and most of the others is I want a quad that I can run over small trees with, and also not be afraid to rub past trees with the fenders scraping, AND, to be able to jump logs in a single bound.

I mention logs because with my Kaw Prairie 400, it has metal floorboards and I frequently high center on the metal, then the rear wheels climb over log. with all the plastic floorboards, I worry that I'll crack the plastic, esp if it is cold outside.

The front - I have a metal tube protective framework/grillwork, oem, that performs excellent when bashing thru trees.

Fenders - my fenders have more of a rounded profile and no angles or connecting points that would snag on trees. I have a few screws on mine which hold on the rubber mud flaps, which are shiny from rubbing trees.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those Plastic skid plates are tuffer then you think ,also they slide/slip over logs better.
I just ride over logs even if the ATV is tittering on the log, I just but my weigh forward until the front wheels touch the ground and pull you over.By then the back wheels will be climbing the log also.
Works better with a diff lock ATV so you have two front wheels pulling you over rather then one.
With a 2wd your just stopped dead and everyone has to get off and help the guy over.

Fender guards are a nice thing to have to keep things looking good.