Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Utility quad to not be embarressed by sport quads

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utility quad to not be embarressed by sport quads

My brother and his fiancee, and me and my girlfriend all want quads. My brother has his eye on a kfx 450. I assume the girls will get 300exs or something. I want a utility quad but want to be able to keep up with my brother. If i don't go utility I'd love to find a mint Warrior. But it's been a while since I read up on quads...

any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The best mix of utility and sport out there is the Can-Am Renegade. The 500 is pretty nimble and you can get front and rear racks. Pretty sporty but you still have 4wd and low and high range. Better yet is the 800. Crazy fast and pretty maneuverable. I highly recommend a utility machine for New England riding. Steep rocky hills, deep mud and water holes, and snow make 4wd a must in my mind. Polaris came out with a Scrambler 850. Much like the Renegade in abilities.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the renegade 500 will keep up just fine, and smoke the 300's but you wont be winning any drag races with the 450- if you get the renegade 800, the outlander 800 or even the bruteforce 750, you'll leave the 450 in the dust.

not a fan of the scrambler- don't like'em at all.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
not a fan of the scrambler- don't like'em at all.
The new one has IRS, CVT, high and low range, essentially a Sportsman XP with sportier shocks and less weight. It's a bit on the ugly side. Kind of a bulldog type look.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, you want a ute that will keep up, but wouldn't mind a Warrior, which won't if he is riding with a decent pace. Here is my advice, buy what you like and don't worry about "keeping up." At the same time you need to keep perspective on what the group as a whole will need. Sport riders aren't going out looking for deep mud holes or snow. 450 riders need to ride with a bit of pace to keep from overheating, while a ute or 300EX can putt putt along all day at walking speeds.

Sounds like every one is pretty new to riding, and will progress at different levels. With a mixed group of ability/machines we always let the speedy guys go out front. These guys stop every few minutes or anytime it wouldn't be blatantly obvious which trail they may have taken. Every one else follows along at a comfortable pace, to them. Communications is good if you can afford it, but with reasonable expectations you can get along just fine without.

On a side note, you are really looking at a Renegade or the new 850 Scrambler if you want to keep up speed for speed. Even then, there will be times that big beast tires you out first, and times a real rough trail may tire out your buddy first. Just ride within your abilities and come home safe.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Well, you want a ute that will keep up, but wouldn't mind a Warrior, which won't if he is riding with a decent pace. Here is my advice, buy what you like and don't worry about "keeping up." ...
I second all of Scooters statement. Buy what YOU want. You'll be happier. If i have any advise is that if you think you may get bit by an upgrade bug, buy a (not so mint) warrior or something you like. Ride and get experience. Sell and upgrade when you decide you want bigger/faster/stronger.

If your going sport (warrior) i'd probably suggest a 400EX over it. Without major mods, the warrior's just don't handle well at all.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Op you got solid advice so far in this thread.
Most big bore 4x4 quads will keep up with a 450 but they wont corner like a 450. Were are you going to be riding and what are the trails like? The trails dictate the speed not the machine.

Trending Topics

Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

I ride with a person whom has a sport quad and have no problems keeping up most of the time. Yes, when we get into the fast smooth trails he is gone, but when we get into the deep mud or rock climbs the playing field gets leveled fairly fast.

Honestly living in new england i wouldnt own anything else but a 4x4 and the new scrambler or renegades look like it could be a great machine for around here.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Prairie 700 will do the trick!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by jgar
Op you got solid advice so far in this thread.
Most big bore 4x4 quads will keep up with a 450 but they wont corner like a 450. Were are you going to be riding and what are the trails like? The trails dictate the speed not the machine.
Exactly, the trails around here I can,t even open up my 350 Grizzly.

A 60 mph ATV vs a 30 mph trail, the trail will win every single time.LOL

Any "trail" that allows a ATV to go 50mph is called a "road" and you have to watchout for cars. Not my idea of fun off road riding.

The Renegade and new 850 Scrambler are the same machine as the Utility Outlander and XP850 but with sporty plastic and no racks.

I seen where sport ATVs are slower, there spending time zig zagging around boulders and stumps that will smash there rear chain sprocket with 3" of ground clearance. While a utility ATV just rides straight over that stuff with clearance to spare.

A rear spocket 3" off the ground does not handle a 5" high rock very well. LOL

Quick Reply: Utility quad to not be embarressed by sport quads