Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Advice on used 2008 BF750

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on used 2008 BF750

I just looked at a used brute force 750 tonight and had a few questions about it. The atv seemed in fairly good chape with the typical scratched and a bent front rack. All cv boots were in good shape. The ball link where the right tie rod attached to the steering was loose and sloppy. My main concern was the skid plate had a lot of oil and speedy dry on it. The owner said he over filled it and it was leaking out of it. It seem to be wet with oil around the area where the front driveshaft comes out of the transmission and when I checked the oil, it was at the bottom of the dip stick. The quad had 100 hrs on it and ran good. Totally stock except for mud lites on the stock rims. Price wasn't bad but the oil thing really concerns me. Is there a see common to leaking on these atv's? Any input would be appreciated

Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

That shouldn't leak even if overfilled. If it truly just was overfilled and the seller had any sense at all he would drain some out, clean up the mess, and not have to answer questions from potential buyers. If he couldn't or didn't do that, I would assume it is something more major that he wants to unload the quad instead of sinking the money into fixing it. Sounds like a bad seal or broken clip to me. If it can be changed with the engine/front diff in place, it isn't a big deal. If the diff has to be taken out to get the shaft out, you are looking at a lot of money in labor. Personally, if I was questioning it before I bought it, I wouldn't be comfortable riding it until fixed right. When I am buying something, especially spending what an 08 750 would go for, I would expect it to be mechanically sound. I would keep looking and find something you can get on and go.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:36 AM
Trailblazer

The seller said that he did drain some oil out. He said he didn't realize he over filled it until he rode it and oil was pissing out of the machine. He said he then drained some out but now the machine is on the low side. Also, he said he hadn't riding in in over six months. When he started it for he, oil started dripping on the garage floor. He only wanted $4200 for it so I figured I would take a look but that oil leak concerns me.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

You might post on kawieriders and I am sure someone there can give you a better answer. I had a seal go out where the shaft went into the front diff on my king quad and my brother had the exact same symptoms you are describing on his big bear and his was the clip that holds the shaft in place in the front of the engine had broke. Both resulted in a slow drip. I certainly wouldnt go for his story that it is just overfilled, especially if it is low on the dipstick.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Go look something else.
That oil leak story sounds fishy.