Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki Bayou 220 won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kawasaki Bayou 220 won't start.

I just purchased a kawasaki bayou 220. It ran ok using the pull start. Sometimes when I downshifted it would stall out on me and i would have trouble starting it again. The other night i went out riding and it stalled out on me. But this time it wouldnt start at all. I went and bought a new battry and a soleniod but still no luck. Used seafoam tried some starter fluid and cleaned the carb and air filter. Tore apart top of block and saw nothing wrong. The spark plug is fine. The ground wire was a bit shredded but used a temp. splice for now. But i still can not even pull start it. I need help! Tomorrow is opening day for trout fishing aroud my house and would love to be able to ride.

The following users liked this post:
Oneofgodselect (09-14-2022)
Old 03-29-2013, 10:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you've been pull starting, why the battery?hmm....
so, let's start here:
new battery >12v. about 12.6v? ok
solenoid good? getting voltage down to starter? inline fuse good?
starter crank/turnover engine?
what's the compression? how old is the quad? hours? miles?
good spark? or good spark plug?
how long does it run before it "stalls" out on you? does the throttle bog down? does it idle good?
how did you clean the carb? did you remove the float/needle valve and jets? manually/physically cleaned them, not just sprayed them down in place? then reinstalled them?

Oneofgodselect (09-14-2022)
Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well it needed a new a battery and solenoid befre i bought it. So once it all came in i figured that would help my poblem but stil it wont work. Its getting voltage and It cranks when you use a screw driver on the 2 solenoid ports but doesnt actually start, Its older probably a 2000, but im not 100% sure it runs for a good while before it shuts off. the throttle does bog down and it idles alright. it has a brand new carb in it, but we did clean it.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

ok. with a new battery, it should crank via key or pushbutton. you should not have to jump the solenoid. that's another problem. check the wiring coming out of the backside of the keyed ignition. look for kinks or other wiring deficiencies. 2nd, your inline fuse coming off of the positive side of the battery, if you got one, should be checked to make sure it is good. i'm glad you can jump the solenoid and the starter cranks. now, you replaced the carb and cleaned it. did you physically clean the jets once they were removed or did y'all just spray cleaner up in there after you removed the bowl?
there's several videos of how to clean a carb. just don't use a drill for the screws. now your carb ain't the same as the carb in the videos, but the principal is the same. did y'all do this?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

im not sure where the starter is on the atv to check the wiring. like i said the ground wire is messed up but we temp. spliced it to make it work until we get fixed. other then that the wiring looks good. We didnt not physically clean the jets yet. just took the carb out and sprayed it with carb cleaner.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the MAIN THING that is so critical for the fuel delivery system to work great is a clear, unobstructed pathway to the cylinder/piston. that by way of the carb and jets. from fuel tank, through fuel filter, to carb's needle valve/seat to float bowl to jets to intake to cylinder. that's the pathway. so it is imperative to make sure the jets are physically removed, cleaned and make sure you see daylight through all orifices and down the center of the jets. THEN, you should be able to start easy, idle, and rev up the quad. it can take anywhere from 15 mins to 1 hr to clean it. small time investment for hours of fun.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

one wire from the solenoid should go straight to the starter. then at the starter should be a separate wire that grounds the starter to the frame/assembly.. the battery's ground wire should be from battery to frame.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

when we took apart the carb yesterday it was filled with gas. not sure what that means? and my boyfriend seams to think its a problem with the piston. that it may have shattered or something.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

ok, now the gasoline in the bottom portion of the carb is definitely a good thing. that's the float bowl. that float is a level controller. works just like the old style floats in a swamp cooler air conditioner. if level gets low, it opens a small valve inside to allow gasoline in and vice versa. so, gasoline in there is a good thing. when you crank it without a spark plug in the cylinder, just it chug out? do you have a compression gauge or just stick y'alls thumbs on the spark plug hole to check for compression when it cranks? if the piston was shattered, i would say it wouldn't run at all and be slamming/banging parts internally and sound like hammered crap! i would think your piston is fine.

cherielcoco (03-12-2020)
Old 03-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

go ahead and take the carb apart. this time leave the float assembly alone. sounds like it is working fine. just pull both of the jets and clean them. reinstall them and reinstall the carb. then we'll fire it up and go from there.

donaldhen1@gmail.com (01-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Kawasaki Bayou 220 won't start.