Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

oh man

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2001, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, the Bayou's are wet-sump's! Never knew that.. Should have looked through the owners manual..

Curious thought here, but if you are going up a long steep hill on one of these, could you potentially starve the engine of oil? I was riding up the edge of a sink hole near my cottage in 2nd gear keepin the rev's high, and all of a sudden the machine just acts like it's going to die as if it's lugging really hard. Hmmm, any ideas?

Old 04-21-2001, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is going to cause a row, but here it goes. According to some Marine Corps manual that I read while I was in the service. It is impossible to climb a hill of more than 45 degrees from a standing start. Now if you have a running start you can go up a hill greater than 45 degrees but all the while you will be losing speed. If the hill were long enough you would never make it, no matter what your starting speed. Back in the late 60's and early 70's they had a hill climb at Salt Lake City called "the Widow Maker Hill Climb" The hill was right at 45 degrees. I believe only one person had ever made the full climb and that was on a nitro burning Harley that didn't weigh much.

Now to answer my previous post. When a person performs a wheelie, the machine is typically at more than a 45 degree angle. Thus the oil pump becomes uncovered in a wet sump engine. The sump will stay full when serviced to the proper level while at a 45 degree angle or less.