Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave w/twist throttles

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone here converted a Mojave from a thumb throttle to a twist? If so, how do you like it and how hard was the conversion. Did you have to change the cable too, or did the stock cable work. I'm thinking of getting a Motion Pro (model unknown).

Old 04-18-2001, 02:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

my boss loves his and said it wasn't hard to install at all........mines on its way

Old 04-18-2001, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

It is easy to install. comes as a kit with the twist throttle and a cable. I HATED mine on a lt500r I had so I went back to a thumb throttle.

Old 04-18-2001, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

I just put a motion pro on my Blaster and it was very easy instalation. It comes wiht a cable and trottle. But u have to order new dirtbike style grips. I am a dirt bike ridier from way back so I just couldn get used to the thumb.

Old 04-18-2001, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

I have it on my Mojave all stock and it's great a lot better than thumb but I used to ride dirtbikes. It's easier to control tho.

Old 04-19-2001, 03:47 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input. I ordered a Motion Pro Turbo kit. I'm thinking about getting a dirt bike, so I need to learn how to use a twist throttle. This seemed like the easiest way.

Now, as long as I don't kill myself...

Old 04-19-2001, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad I got on this a little late. I had a twist throttle on my old 250X and here are some of the problems I noticed.

1. Because quads require you to muscle them around using both sides of the bars, the twist throttle makes it hard to keep a good grip on the bars.

2. The twist throttle did not allow for as percise control over RPM as does the thumb throttle.

3. For me, the twist throttle did not work as well as the thumb because unlike a dirt bike where your movements are very smooth. A quad requires a lot more horsing around to make it go where you want and you et a lot of side to side motion. The twist makes it difficult to counter the side to side.

Everyone is different however and you won't know whether it is for you unless you try it.

Old 04-19-2001, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad I got on this a little late. I had a twist throttle on my old 250X and here are some of the problems I noticed.

1. Because quads require you to muscle them around using both sides of the bars, the twist throttle makes it hard to keep a good grip on the bars.

2. The twist throttle did not allow for as percise control over RPM as does the thumb throttle.

3. For me, the twist throttle did not work as well as the thumb because, unlike a dirt bike where your movements are very smooth, a quad requires a lot more horsing around to make it go where you want and you get a lot of side to side motion. The twist throttle makes it difficult to counter the side to side motion.

Everyone is different however and you won't know whether it is for you unless you try it.

Old 04-23-2001, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Sprocket, I put a Motion Pro CR type twist on my Mojave and I love it. It's a quicker turning throttle. I'm a quad rider from way back so twist are a natural for me. All the pros were doing it, so I did it too, way back then. I can't ride good without it! Good luck!

Old 04-23-2001, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

Well I got the kit, but I'm having a problem installing it. The end of the cable that attaches to the carb (the metal tube) is bent different than the stock. It's taller and bent more at a 90 degree angle while the stock is slightly shorter and bent more like a 45. So when you try to install it, it hits the frame above. I called Motion Pro and spoke to Tech Support (who was very helpful). However, he said the design has been in use since '95 with no changes and should work. But clearly it does not.

Has anyone run into this?

Quick Reply: Mojave w/twist throttles