Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

99 Kawasaki Bayou KLF300C 4x4 electrical issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Kawasaki Bayou KLF300C 4x4 electrical issues.

I just bought a 99 Kawasaki Bayou KLF300c 4x4 and it wasn't getting any spark so i bought a CDI and then it would spark but only long enuf to start then immediately die. So i did a little research and a few ppl said voltage regulator rectifier and so i unplugged it and bang it starts and runs fine till i disconnect the battery. so i start it put it in gear and it dies (regulator disconnected) i start it back turn on the headlights put it in gear and it runs fine. rode it all day with headlights on and draining my battery with regulator disconnected. At the end of the day i can rid it without the headlights on and i can reconnect the voltage reg and it runs now with it connected till i turn off lights. WTF!? I already ordered a voltage reg. Ive nvr seen then before. I bought the ATV for $200 and the guy said he was riding it and it just died. Also some info I put a multi meter on the 3 yellow wires coming from the stater and they show 1.1-1.2 ohms on all 3 and while running in ACV shows 19.58v at low idle and with a tiny amount of throttle it shows 23v-25v. I also checked continuity on all the wires and grounds all good. I know this is a lot of info but i figure more is better. Do you think it is the voltage reg? haven't had a lot of luck finding the specs for that exact ATV since it is diff from the 250 and even the 98 models.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I think all KLFs have a fairly straightforward DC ignition system, similar to that on an 80s car. Putting the lights on and disconnecting the reg will bring the battery voltage down, so it is looking like the CDI or ignition coil doesn't like voltages over 12v. I would suspect one of these to be the culprit, but check with regulator on and bike running, just what voltage the regulator is putting into the battery, if it is under 14.5v the reg is OK.