Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KLF220 Starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KLF220 Starter issue

Recent rebuild of a friends klf220, new starter doesn't rotate the engine fast enough to start the bike. Can be pull started without to much trouble. Is this a starter clutch issue or a crappy aftermarket starter?

Old 08-04-2017, 02:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Check all battery to starter connections, including earths. Make sure your battery is good by having it load tested when fully charged. If you are certain they are OK, it could be either one way clutch or bad starter, starter clutches usually screech when they slip. May be worth checking your old starter and fitting new brushes to it if needed, to eliminate starter problems before taking the alternator etc, off to fit a new clutch.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thx merry, i have a feeling i found the issue but need a second opinion. Is the starter sprocket suppose to be able to move forward and backwards or should it only turn to the right and lock turning left as it should. One pull start with recoil but it will rip the handle out of your hand if you havent pulled the exhaust valve lever.

Leads me to think the key is sheared, thoughts.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also brand new battery, brand new starter, thought first starter failed and got a second on warranty. Both starters function the same, sounds like a dead battery, but spins like mad without the torque reducer in.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Brand new battery doesn't mean good, or fully charged one.

The starter sprocket should only turn one way, but how do you get to it, to check, without the alternator cover off? If you have the cover off, spin the starter and see what is going on. If chain goes round but crankshaft doesn't, you have a faulty starter clutch.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

True that on the battery. Bud purchased it at bat plus, had just charged it myself, though it only charged for a few mins and multi'd out at just over 12v without a load. I didn't test it under load, but may in the future.

I suppose I neglected in my earlier post to mention that I did have the alt cover off and without removing the flywheel the starter sprocket was able to move side to side on the crank. Not just turn the single direction related to the clutch.

I have since pulled the fly and discovered what I believe is the main issue with the starter lag. The clutch was in pieces with score marks on the back of the flywheel. The woodruff key was intact.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 08-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok I've got a video of what it's doing. Though I can't upload here or at least i can't figure out how to.

Previous post didn't cross over with pics of the starter clutch.

I've replaced the starter clutch and for a second it turned over quickly which
is what I was hoping for, but then returned to lagged starter turning.

I metered the battery, standing it's 11.8 volts. With the starter turning it drops anywhere from 7 to 9 volts with starter button held down.

I'm not sure what the volts should be, it's a 190cca battery from batteries plus.

Thoughts?

Old 08-09-2017, 02:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

11.8v is a flat battery. Charge it up.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

So charged the bat. Get better performance from the starter, but it doesn't take much to have it start lagging again. Did replace the starter clutch as well.

When the bike is running - what should the output of the alt be related to volts?

I notice there isn't an increase in voltage when bike is running in the battery, even with throttle increase.