Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

1997 Bayou 300, dies when under loadBought

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Bayou 300, dies when under load

Hoping someone can give me some pointers. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade, but give me something with a spark plug and I'm left scratching my head. Lol.

Back story, bought a 97 Bayou 300 4x4 about 6 months ago, guy had just had the carb rebuilt. Ran great, started up every time, good power, no issues. Couple of weeks ago I needed some light while working in the dark, so I started up the quad and let it run for 30 minutes providing light. Problem is I forgot I still had the choke on. When I shut off the other machinery i was using I could hear the rough idle from the quad. Turned the choke off and it died. Starting it back up was difficult. Finally got it started and tried driving it back to the garage. Died on me probably a dozen times, coughed and sputtered, but I finally made it back. Parked it until the next day.

When I came back to it the quad would never start up and run for more than a few seconds, until finally it didn't even do that. Fuel supply was good, spark plug still had spark, so I figured maybe the rebuilt carb had bit the dust. Bought a new carb just like the one on it (aftermarket), installed it yesterday and it still wouldn't start up. So doing some searching online I came across someone with exact same issues and a new spark plug fixed their issues. So I installed a new spark plug even though the old one had spark and didn't look that bad. Quad fired right up with the choke on. I thought all was good.

Once warmed up some I turned choke off and drove it around the field. Came back to the shop and let it idle for a while I grabbed a chain and some other things to do some work with the quad. While idling it starting cutting out a little bit. I thought maybe the idle needed adjusting some more. But that didn't help any.

Hopped on it and put it in gear to drive it and as soon as I gave it throttle while in gear it died. Started it back up, in neutral I could rev it up no problem, put it in gear and as soon as you touch the throttle it dies. Let it sit for a while to cool off and then it started up and I could drive it like normal again until it was fully warmed up, then it would die if in gear and throttle pressed in.

I'm open to suggestions, really stumped. Thx

Old 02-08-2018, 01:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you still have spark when it dies,I'd check valve clearances as that could be the problem if they're too tight to begin with. Plus not a bad idea to check compression afterwards. Should build up to at least 125-130 psi or more I would think if the top end is ok. Wouldn't hurt to make sure you're getting good fuel supply to the carb and the tank vent is open and not pinched. You might try having the rear wheels off the ground and see if they're not moving when you drop it in gear. Could be needing adjustment or checked into if adjustment doesn't help.https://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/o...478b039/clutch

Old 02-08-2018, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solid info, I really appreciate it!!!