Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Engine flooding, won't start/ barely starts.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine flooding, won't start/ barely starts.

Hi guys, 2000 Mule 550, been sitting for years, finally got ahold of it and put new carb, fuel pump, and filter (all genuine kawasaki dealer parts). Has great spark, fuel (floods cyclinder every attempt to start).

I thought it was compression problem it tested out @ 70psi. I then checked valve clearance to find there was none, adjusted it to spec, and retested compression @ 172 psi. But it still is flooding.
After sitting for a bit, and spark plug dried it will run, but only @ full throttle and it's extremely rich and rough.

Could it be the brand new carb (again Genuine kawasaki)? I'll probably take a look in the bowl next to see if the float is stuck or? Any ideas?

Old 04-25-2018, 01:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

You haven't done what our local Kawasaki dealer did, and left the breathers connected together on the new carb? I assume Kawasaki send them like that to keep dirt out, but they need to be re-routed to match the old carb. May be worth cleaning out old carb and trying it, in case your new carb has problems.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
You haven't done what our local Kawasaki dealer did, and left the breathers connected together on the new carb? I assume Kawasaki send them like that to keep dirt out, but they need to be re-routed to match the old carb. May be worth cleaning out old carb and trying it, in case your new carb has problems.
I originally bought a rebuild kit for the old carb, but the main jet stripped out and then I broke an easy out inside of it, so I went new. I'll check on those breather tubes though.