Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki KLF 220 Bayou ignition problem

Old 06-24-2018, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Kawasaki KLF 220 Bayou ignition problem

Hello to all, I have a KLF 220 of about 1990 vintage, I recently stripped out the starter slip clutch to replace the rollers, on rebuilding it I find that while it cranks ok it won't start ! So I remove the spark plug and try for a spark !! Whilst holding the starter button in there are no sparks but as I release the button there is a spark at the plug !! Press again, no sparks, release, spark.etc.
I have tested the coil in the engine (signal coil to CDI) and the HT coil both of which were within the range specified in the manual, As I have another spare machine I changed both of these coils to no avail.
I'm lost from this point on !! Has anyone come across this issue before and if so, what was the cause?

Old 06-25-2018, 02:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Dozens of posts on here from owners of various makes with the same problem, and I don't know of anyone who has put their finger on it. We maintain a few Hondas that do this, and the owners learn to press the start button in short bursts as, if it fires after you take your finger off, the engine will then start. Some say it is a dirty pickup (trigger) coil, when you had the case off, did you check it was clean? I also had the same symptoms on a Honda 350, which has an extra lead from neutral wire to CDI, this (I think) gives a better spark in neutral, and the lead was faulty. I rather think the KLF220 has the same set up.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for the reply, It seems that when I release the starter button there is only one spark ! I would have expected at least two as the engine turns over enough to go past two trigger points, also there is no spark when using the pull start ! I have changed the triggering coil with one from my spare machine with the same results, Can't understand why it has changed just through stripping flywheel side off the engine !!

Old 06-26-2018, 01:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I don't think the CDI is getting a signal from the trigger in your case, difficult to check with certainty, but see if you get an AC pulse at the CDI from the trigger coil, and the exciter coil when the engine is spun on the starter. Also check those wires for continuity, where they plug into the loom at CDI and alternator.