Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

bayou 220 ignition wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 07:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bayou 220 ignition wiring help

I have a 1999 bayou 220 that I bought from my new son in law for a song. The previous owner before him hotwired the ignition switch somehow because they lost the key. The pull rope is also broke,so can't start it that way. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a pull start assembly ($100 for a used one is cheapest I could find) I bought a new switch and key for $7. The previous owner somehow wired the ignition so it would pull start without the key. I have looked at the wiring and can't for the life of me see where any wires were spliced except the black and yellow to solid black ground(pic included). What wires do I need to hook up to make it key start again? Also,the wires from the new switch aren't long enough to reach the connector with the red and yellow wirest plugs in,right? I assume I will have to lengthen the key switch wires? thanks for any help.

Attached Thumbnails bayou 220 ignition wiring help-bayou-wiring.jpg  
Old 07-05-2018, 02:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Someone on here posted the wiring diagram, shows you which wires go to the ignition switch. https://atvconnection.com/forums/kaw...r-issue-2.html

They would have been plugged into the loom somewhere under the front plastic.

New start ropes can be bought from any lawn mower repair shop, take the old one as there are lots of different thicknesses, if fitting it is beyond you, the repair shop can do this too, shouldn't cost much.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:36 AM
Trailblazer

Ok,got the pull rope fixed for $30(it was the spring). Can't get the engine to start. I turned the red engine on switch to the right and moved the choke to closed. I added fuel,so it won't be that simple. lol Engine doesn't even try to pop. What position does the fuel on off lever need to be in? I tried it both horizontal and vertical,neither seems to work. Was hoping to get it running today,guess I get to start troubleshooting even though I have never worked on wheeler before. I guess the basics are the same as a car. Fuel and spark at the right time. Wish me luck!! lol Any suggestions are welcome!!

Old 07-08-2018, 02:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Vertical is usually on for the tap. Have you checked for a spark? Always the first thing to check on a non starting engine, especially with hacked about wiring like that.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by merryman
Someone on here posted the wiring diagram, shows you which wires go to the ignition switch. https://atvconnection.com/forums/kaw...r-issue-2.html

They would have been plugged into the loom somewhere under the front plastic.

New start ropes can be bought from any lawn mower repair shop, take the old one as there are lots of different thicknesses, if fitting it is beyond you, the repair shop can do this too, shouldn't cost much.
Thanks for the diagram but it is for 88-95. mine is a 99. I Don't find a key switch in the diagram. I will look for a diagram for a 99

Old 07-15-2018, 01:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I doubt if a 99 will be much different to the 95 diagram, and the ignition switch is on it marked "ignition switch". Also a small extra diagram on what should be the bottom left of the page if you turn the drawing the right way up, shows how it is wired internally.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer

Ok,now I'm confused. Had time to work on it today. Took the front end off to see the wiring. plugged in the new key switch,and turned it on. Tried to start it with the start button. Solenoid clicks but starter does not engage. I turned the key on and pulled the starter rope,it started!! Ran like crap and died after about 30 seconds. Could barely give it gas.How hard is it to rebuild the carb? engine hasn't been ran in a year. I did use new gas. Thinking it has to be carb related.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I never rebuild carbs. To clean one out is fairly easy. Remove float bowl, clean it out. Remove jets in float bowl, blow them and the holes they came from out with compressed air, check you can see through jets, re-assemble. Do not touch the idle mixture screw. Regarding electric start, get a test lamp, connect one lead to battery neg and the other to starter lead on solenoid, press start button, if it clicks but light doesn't come on, faulty solenoid. If it lights but starter doesn't work, faulty starter. 90% of the time it is worn brushes and new ones will fix it. Worth dismantling to find out.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does the battery have a full charge?

Old 07-25-2018, 01:12 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by grapehead
Does the battery have a full charge?
Yes,the battery is brand new. I have been riding it off and on the last couple weeks.Pull start works good. It is running better. Still probably end up rebuilding or replacing the carb. The only thing it won't do now is idle very long. But when the on the throttle it runs ok,just a little boggy under heavy throttle. Trying not to spend a lot of money on it,so far only in it for about $150 including purchase price,new battery,recoil rope rebuild, and key switch.

Quick Reply: bayou 220 ignition wiring help