Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

86 Bayou 300 magneto magnets

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chipskittles

So yes, a 300B flywheel and stator are all that are needed to replace an original flywheel.
Thanks for the update. I will be doing exactly that if/when my flywheel fails.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after receiving a 300B CDI box and getting no further I started to go back to the basics, I was getting fuel as shown on the plug, but I noticed that I would get a strong spark but if I kept cranking it would drop out or stop completely. Thinking it was the CDI I swapped back the original one and it did the same thing, checked grounds, same thing. I found my spare spark plug and popped it in this morning and lo and behold it fired up and actually stayed running. It runs fine with either CDI, even at high revs so only difference is the connector it seems. I have to adjust the mixture because I think the intake boot was leaking and now that it's fixed the carb needs to be leaned a bit. As it is I still was able to ride up and down our long street a few times today and it ran great just a little boggy when starting out.

So forensic analysis looks like my spark plug went bad just sitting, then the starter clutch died while trying i was trying to start the atv . Who knows how long the magnet issue was going on, but I suspect that magnet took out the spring that surrounds the starter clutch bits because that's all that was actually wrong with the starter clutch. Hopefully no magnet pieces made it out of the stator cavity into the main motor case.

So yes, a 300B flywheel and stator are all that are needed to replace an original flywheel. You CAN reuse the pickup coil without any modifications; I did not realize until later that the harness for the stator and the pickup, while they appear to be contained within a solid rubber block, are actually two rubber blocks that had fused over the years, but can be easily separated with a razor blade. Timing marks on A and B flywheels are different because they are read from the front of the stator cover on the A, and from the top on a B. This could be problematic when adjusting valves but I think I can find TDC without too much trouble without the marks. If it's ever an issue it's easy to stamp lines into the rim of the B flywheel.

Thank you to everyone for your help, I appreciate the insight, suggestions and support.

Will the rotor/flywheel fit with the "A" stator or is it too big for the "B" rotor/flywheel?

Old 04-07-2019, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A stator is too big for B magneto. Have to buy the B pair. C stuff might work as well, it got a little fuzzy when you get into the 90s models

Old 04-07-2019, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

A stator is too big for B magneto. Have to buy the B pair. C stuff might work as well, it got a little fuzzy when you get into the 90s models
Thank you! Did you use a flywheel puller? The one that I see online for these 86-87 model years just look like a bolt, not even sure how they'd work? I tried a 2 jaw and 3 jaw puller with no luck.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes! Definitely use the right tool a puller will just ruin it. It's just a bolt but I forget how it works it has been a while, you can get the service manual for the 86-87 it's out on the internet and worth having. I tried a puller too, been there

Old 04-07-2019, 08:31 PM
Range Rover

I have this one. You need something to hold the magneto from turning too. https://fortnine.ca/en/motion-pro-fl...r-16mm-08-0027

Old 04-07-2019, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

If I remember right the 86-87 tool just threads in, and you tighten it while holding the magneto somehow. The Kawasaki way is a strap tool I think I wedged mine with a screwdriver. Once you have it held just tighten the bolt it will pop right off. The newer ones use the other tool that tightens on the outer threads. Might as well buy it at the same time because that's what the b and c magentos use

Old 06-30-2020, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thank You

If I remember right the 86-87 tool just threads in, and you tighten it while holding the magneto somehow. The Kawasaki way is a strap tool I think I wedged mine with a screwdriver. Once you have it held just tighten the bolt it will pop right off. The newer ones use the other tool that tightens on the outer threads. Might as well buy it at the same time because that's what the b and c magentos use
I just signed up to this forum to say THANK YOU to chipskittles for your time in research and your time to document this process. I just purchased a used KLF300B rotor and a new KLF300B stator for my KLF300A. I had the same thing happen to my rotor. The one way clutch was causing the starter chain to kick back during the starting process. I had taken the rotor off and determined this one way clutch was the problem. I pulled started it and drove it 4 times before the clutch come in. Took the cover off yesterday to replace it and one of the magnets was destroyed.

The following users liked this post:
chipskittles (06-30-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Stator and Rotor came in and I put it back together yesterday. KLF300A is running, starting, and charging as should be! Thanks again chipskittles for your time in research and sharing the info! Saved me $300!

Old 07-08-2020, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by danj1001179
Stator and Rotor came in and I put it back together yesterday. KLF300A is running, starting, and charging as should be! Thanks again chipskittles for your time in research and sharing the info! Saved me $300!
I'm glad to know this information helped someone else out. Most common issues with these old things were documented years ago. I guess at this late in the game there aren't many of these around anymore to break My latest fiasco with my bayou was the reverse lockout stopped working so it would skip neutral. When trying to move a boat around the yard it got real old real fast- without forums I would not have known where to start and who knows where it would have ended up. At least I did not have to get too creative for that fix. love ya'll!

The following users liked this post:
OldDawg (12-22-2021)

Quick Reply: 86 Bayou 300 magneto magnets