Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

1995 Kawasaki Bayou 220 no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Kawasaki Bayou 220 no start

Hi, I have just purchased a custom made ATV that is a dune buggy front half and has the motor carriage back of a 1995 Kawasaki 220 Bayou fabricated to the rear for my little boy as a birthday gift. Sounds strange but it's very unique. It has all original wiring but only thing being used is the choke and kill switch. It has pull start.
​​​​​​My question is the thing ran fine when I got it home but was late so we didn't ride long at all. We went to go ride for the day on his birthday and we ride about a hour before it choked off. I went to pull start and I pulled the cord a wee bit to hard and broke the cord lol. I fixed it and it was 4 days before we got chance to ride again. This time it fired up and I used reverse and when I went to change from reverse to 1st it cut off. I had to use the choke , which was first time I've had to since bought, but it would fire up and cut off. I pushed back up to the house and it hasn't fired since. I tried to hook the original starter up to help me crank it over Soni didn't have to pull start and starter is no good.
So, with using pull start only and all original wiring still in place, what wiring is only needed to use pull start?
I found two grounds broken is why I asked. I also have found that the spark plug cable at boot was broken. I fixed the broken wire and still nothing. I also have bypassed the neutral safety switch to test it before taking side of motor off and replacing and nothing.
I have checked and not getting fire. This being customized the way it has I was thinking it's a ground issue but need to know what all needs to be wired up or have ground for it to operate using pull start only?

Passenger side of engine

Drivers side of engine

Old 10-06-2020, 02:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

Depends if the original CDI unit is used in the new set up. I got the wiring diagram from this site a while ago, but the picture is too small to make out wiring colours accurately. However here goes:- four wires from alternator to CDI, trigger coil wires, a blue and a black, also power coil wires, a red wire and (can't make out black/something else?) The other wires going to CDI, black/yellow earth, this one is vital, bad earth = blown CDI, a yellow/red kill wire to ignition switch, this will be earthed with switch one way but not t'other. Finally a green/white to coil, other coil wire black/yellow, is another earth.

I would fix it so the electric start works, pull start is supposed to be for emergency and ropes don't last long if used all the time, also makes life much easier if you have electric start.