Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

1998 KVF 400 4x4 hesitation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 KVF 400 4x4 hesitation?

Hello,

New to ATV connection here. So I got the quad for free from the father inlaw. Let's just say it was road hard and put away wet. Took the thing apart fixed some issues and also got a second hand carb for it, old one was taken off to be used on my father in laws 1997 kvf. I cleaned the carb thoroughly before installing. Here is the down low....bike starts great usually first pull. Let it warm up and then hope on gets up to around 30 km/h and once under load it starts to hesitate......almost more like a cut out more then a hesitation? Kinda wants to point me towards an electrical issue. Any ideas or if anyone else has had a similar issue let me know and would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 02-20-2021, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was given a second hand one owner 1995 Bayou 300 KLF 2WD. Was doing something similar. Took it to two shops. 1st could not figure it out. 2nd said needed new transmission. Decided to much money on an old gift unit. Decided to run it until it would not. Noticed what turned out to be the main 30 amp in line fuse over the battery had a bad looking fuse holder and the fuse itself looked worn thin. Replaced the fuse and it ran much better. After a few uses I found that the when moving the holder with my hand and nit was in neutral and key turned on the neutral safety light would flicker on and off. When I moved it into a “sweet” position and it stayed lit and then cranked it would run perfectly. I then replaced the fuse holder with a generic 30amp water resistant fuse holder. It has worked perfectly on two uses a week apart. If you have something similar and it looks compromised replace it or maybe jump around it. I’ll try to attach a picture.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Replaced fuse unit is white tube on top of battery hold down clamp.