Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2004 Eiger 400 4x4 carb issue....

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Eiger 400 4x4 carb issue....

I also posted this under the Eiger petcock issue below as the problem sounds similar....

I think I have an idea what the issue is, but am looking for some thoughts....At least I hope this is my issue, as I've pulled the carb apart and cleaned it twice...

The problem....Quad starts choked. Can even let off the choke and it idles....But is bogs right out as soon as you hit the gas....The first time I pulled carb, cleaned it...Quad ran about 1000 feet then same thing, hit gas and bog out...Idled ok...I figured I sucked something into carb...So I replaced fuel filter and ripped it off for another cleaning...

Same thing after second rebuild. Ran a bit then right to bog out on throttle...

One thing I overlooked during both rebuilds was the choke cable...The boot over the 'pin' part that screws into the carb is ripped....The nut part is there but the cover boot rubber is ripped totally...I think I can glue it all back together and will try that today.

The only other thing I can think it is might be the air vent tube that plugs into the black fitting on the carb? Or maybe the vacume tube. Both tubes are clear, but maybe the vacume tube is haveing an issue from the petcock?

I'm hoping it is the choke cable thing......

Thanks,

Scott

Old 10-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well it was not the boot to the choke....After putting it all back together I can drive 300 feet then the bog comes back. Must be a vaccuume issue....Gonna break down carb again...

I swear it is clean....

I will also drain gas and go over petcock, just to eliminate....

Gonna get this at some point....Searching the net points to carb a lot....But you can get way out there things like CDI and ignition coil too.....The fact I can run for a bit after a fresh carb cleaning leads me to believe it is a mix issue.....I would not think CDI or coil would allow that, but I am no guru obviously....

I may buy a rebuild kit....Although in my net searches this helped very few folks....

Any advice still VERY welcome.

Scott

Old 10-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK....Another piece to puzzle....I hope this helps someone else some day....Not that I have an answer yet...

Start quad choked...Runs fine as it starts to warm I let off choke and it still idles fine..It does still bog right out if I hit the gas....

So I cover the carb intake to restrict airflow and I can hit the throttle. I even drive around a little with my hand feathering air intake...

So too much air? Now I have to figure out what that means and how to fix....

Well, I think I'm at least learning....Not really fixing, but learning....

Scott

Old 10-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi, i am having the exact same problem. It started a few weeks ago. I took the gas tank off and cleaned out the valve at the bottom, changed spark plug, and it ran fine for a few hundred kms. I was out riding the other day and it happened again. All of a sudden it will just bog out when driving. This time i tried restricting the air entering the intake with 2 fingers and it ran 100%. I put a breathable mechanix glove over it and rode the thing the rest of the day, and its running great. I want to get to the bottom of what is going on here.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Appreciate the response...I think I may have it....Oh and this is a good one....

I just ran it around and it is almost there. I have some fiddling to do still but it's running...

I've been working on it in the dark a lot with lights...What I failed to notice was I was not seating the carb deep enough into the boot coming off the motor. That extra inch or so may have been the issue.

Only thing is I also removed the gas and petcock...The petcock looked pretty clean and the gas seemed good, so I do not think those were the issues, but I did do them also to rule out things.

The throttle does seem a bit boggy still, but now it seems like it is a mixture issue. I also had early on did the plug and air filter. As mentioned the quad is a 2004 with 1400 miles of probably 50% snow plowing miles. This was the first time I changed plug and air filter...Neither of those looked bad either, but what the heck...I have been religious about the oil and filter changes over the years. I had hand washed the filter before in the past.

I found a jet kit for a good deal, but it says automatic, whereas mine is an auto clutch where you just kick gears:

Cheap Deal on DynoJet Kit for Suzuki Eiger 400 2x4/4x4 Auto (02-07) DynoJet Kit Big Discounts

I am also wondering if I should get the rebuild kit for the gasket, which seems fine, but I think if I got the dynojet kit, the rebuild kit is a waste of $$....

Again thanks, nothing more frustrating then being stuck with no one to ask for help save forums.

Scott

Old 10-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Trailblazer

If you take the carb apart again and look under the main needle jet diaphragm there is a screw in jet that may be plugged, it is what causes the main needle to lift out of the main jet, if it doesn't lift enough you will get the bogging you are talking about.
Take and unscrew that jet and spray carb cleaner in there and blow it out with compressed air, put it back together and try to run it again and make sure the jet is not plugged in any way. All so make sure the diaphragm doesn't have any holes in it, be careful handling the diaphragm has you don't want to buy another.$$$$