Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

1993?? Bayou 220 is possessed

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 11:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993?? Bayou 220 is possessed

Hey all first question from me.. I have a couple of Bayou 220's I have had for awhile and wanted to get some help to get them running. Both are garage sale rejects and were pretty complete and the first one I am asking help for has this issue: When I turn the key on the starter engages and will not stop.. previous abusers/owners have a custom wiring harness and I replaced the handlebar switch and the correct solenoid. This changes nothing at all. I can pull the starter wire off and it will run but I want to get this going for my grandkids and hoped for some direction here. I have another complete Bayou 220 I can swap parts off if needed but when it comes to wiring and troubleshooting I need help please.

The second, well I have not put much effort into it yet and it does nothing when I put a battery in it so I am checking basics and get back to you if needed but wanted to get the first one going the proceed. Thank you for any help figuring this out. Tim

Old 04-30-2024, 02:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 308 Likes on 302 Posts

If the starter switches off when you switch the ignition off then the start button is sticking, or someone has wired the starter button/solenoid wiring wrong. If starter continues to run after ign is switched off, usually a faulty solenoid, yes it is new but a bad battery (dead cell) can cause the solenoid to click in slowly, causing arcing, which welds the contacts together. If it is the wiring, best to get the wiring diagram and trace the ignition to start button to solenoid and lock out, wires. The diagram did get put up on this forum, but finding it may be difficult.